"Odd Couples": A few days ago
- I'd rather submit to a gasoline enema than set foot in this chrome encrusted phallic symbol!
Appearing in "Odd Couples"
- Doctor Sivana
- Lex Luthor
- Mallus Trolls
- Sabbac (Timothy Barnes) (First appearance)
- Spec (First appearance)
- Mister Heath
- David Tan
- Mount Everest
Synopsis for "Odd Couples"
A few days ago
Doctor Sivana visits Metropolis for a special rooftop meeting with Lex Luthor. The two men despise one another but recognize that they are both the entrepreneurial emperors of their respective coasts. Sivana wants to hire Luthor's agent Spec to cultivate information on Captain Marvel. In exchange for Spec's services, Luthor wants Sivana to sell him back 80,000 shares of LexCorp stock that he currently owns.
A few days later, Spec trails Captain Marvel's flight path through Fawcett City. He witnesses transform from the adult Marvel into young Billy Batson.
Superman arrives in Fawcett City to assist Captain Marvel in fighting the Temple of Bagdon cultists. The high priest of the cult, Mr. Heath, summons two Mallus Trolls and orders them to attack the heroes. Superman uses his arctic-breath to freeze the creatures in place, allowing Captain Marvel the ability to smash them into pieces.
Meanwhile, Temple of Bagdon cultists evade capture. They discover a young man named Timothy Barnes. Timothy is apparently a descendent of the Bagdan line. Mr. Heath reports to his superior, Doctor Sivana, indicating that he has located the chosen one.
They bring Barnes to a sub-basement at Sivana Industries, where Heath begins to conduct a Satanic ritual. He invokes the name of six powerful demons and transforms Timothy Barnes into Sabbac.
That evening, a lunar eclipse begins to take place. At the Fawcett City Solar Center, scientist Doctor Bruce Gordon looks up towards the moon. At the first sign of the eclipse, he transforms into the villain known as Eclipso.
- This book was first published on October 5, 2005.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman/Shazam: First Thunder trade paperback.
- This is the earliest chronological appearance of Sabbac (Timothy Barnes).
- Mister Heath is addressed by name for the first time with this issue.
- The Mallus Trolls are addressed by name for the first time with this issue.
- This comic book features advertisements for the following products:
- —Mountain Dew
- —Capcom – Tim Burton’s, the Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie’s Revenge video game
- —Count Duckula DVD series collection
- —Nintendo Zatch Bell: Mamodo Battles video game for Playstation 2 and Nintendo Gamecube
- —Mattel Batman Begins Batmobile action figure accessory
- —Marvel Nemesis – Rise of the Imperfects video game
- —DC Comics – Infinite Crisis limited series
- —Time Warner Books – Darren Shan’s Cirque Du Freak: The Lake of Souls and The Demonata: Lord Loss novels
- —DC Comics – All-Star Superman comic book series debut
- —Players Inc. – Got Milk?
- —Oxy facial cleanser
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman/Shazam: First Thunder Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman/Shazam: First Thunder series
- Images from Superman/Shazam: First Thunder Vol 1 2
Links and References
- Bruce Gordon biography page on the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Captain Marvel biography page on the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Doctor Sivana biography page on the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Sabbac biography page on the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Shazam biography page on the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Superman biography page on the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe