"Luthor's Ultra-Ego!": Superman and Luthor have another of their classic battles – except this time, Luthor is armed with his Warsuit. The battle ends in a stalemate, and Luthor takes advantage of the situation to affe
Appearing in "Luthor's Ultra-Ego!"
- Lex Luthor (Final appearance)
Synopsis for "Luthor's Ultra-Ego!"
Superman and Luthor have another of their classic battles – except this time, Luthor is armed with his Warsuit. The battle ends in a stalemate, and Luthor takes advantage of the situation to affect his escape.
A few days later, the energy spine known as Sentinel-One, which once powered the Warsuit on Lexor comes to Earth. It invades the Fortress of Solitude and learns everything there is to know about Lex Luthor. It then sets out to find L-Island (now called Black Island) and destroy him.
Sentinel-One penetrates L-Island's defenses and takes possession of the Warsuit. It then flies off and begins building a highly advanced satellite station above the Earth.
Luthor knows what the Sentinel is doing and is forced to contact Superman for aid. He tells Superman that the Sentinel intends on initiating a purge sequence designed to bathe the entire planet in cosmic rays destroying it. Superman doesn't trust Luthor, but has little choice but to follow his lead.
He flies off towards the satellite, but the Sentinel generates a ball of red-solar plasma, which weakens Superman's power. Luthor flies up in his solar-chair and recharges Superman's strength. Witnessing such a noble act of charity activates a self-destruct primer inside the Warsuit and the energy-spine is forced to abandon it. Luthor then sends a mental command to the Warsuit to evacuate the area. Superman cannot catch the Warsuit, but it no longer matters. He has Luthor. Their temporary truce over, Superman flies back to Earth with his arch-nemesis in tow.
- This book was first published on May 22, 1986.
- Final issue of Superman Annual volume 1. While this series is a companion to Superman volume 1, which does continue on with a new name as Adventures of Superman, this series does not continue as Adventures of Superman Annual. Instead, a new Adventures of Superman Annual is begun with issue #1 in 1987.
- This is the final canonical appearance of the Silver Age Superman. Superman appears next in a two-part story beginning in Superman (Volume 1) #423 and concludes in Action Comics #583, however this is considered an imaginary tale and does not count as an appearance by the Earth-One Superman. The revised post-Crisis Superman makes his first appearance in Man of Steel #1.
- This is the final appearance of the Silver Age Lois Lane. The revised post-Crisis Lois Lane makes her first appearance in Man of Steel #1.
- This is the final appearance of the Silver Age Lana Lang. The revised post-Crisis Lana Lang makes her first appearance in Man of Steel #1.
- This is the final appearance of the Silver Age Lex Luthor. The revised post-Crisis Lex Luthor makes his first appearance in Man of Steel #2 (although he makes a cameo appearance earlier in Swamp Thing (Volume 2) #52).
- This issue is the last canonical appearance of the Silver Age Fortress of Solitude. The revised Post-Crisis Fortress of Solitude makes its first appearance in Adventures of Superman #460.
- This is the final appearance of Josh Coyle. There has not been a post-Crisis version of Josh Coyle yet.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Annual Vol 1 12 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman Annual series
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes