"Tears for Titano": Lois Lane conducts an interview at the research laboratories of Dr. Thomas Moyers. Moyers' crew has been experimenting on a chimpanzee that they named Titano. During the interview, Lois sharply criticizes Moyers' activities
- Don't get pushy, Chubs. This isn't just one reporter you're messing with... this is the Daily Planet!
- -- Lois Lane
Appearing in "Tears for Titano"
- Titano (Only appearance; dies)
- Dr. Thomas Moyers (Final appearance)
Synopsis for "Tears for Titano"
Lois Lane conducts an interview at the research laboratories of Dr. Thomas Moyers. Moyers' crew has been experimenting on a chimpanzee that they named Titano. During the interview, Lois sharply criticizes Moyers' activities and his cruelty to animals. At some point, something within the Titano process goes awry and the chimp goes insane. It begins scampering about the lab bestowing feats of strength uncharacteristic of an ape his size. Lois threatens to write a scathing expose on the subject, but Amanda Waller of Task Force X is present and insinuates about how unwise of a decision that would be.
Meanwhile, Superman is flying throughout Metropolis performing his everyday heroic duties. As he comes closer to Moyers' lab, he finds that Titano has grown tremendously in height and is now rampaging throughout Metropolis. Superman fights Titano and dumps him into the river. He then grabs some electrical cable from a suspension bridge and uses it to shock Titano into submission. The giant ape calms down as Lois arrives on the scene. Titano has taken a liking to Lois as she is the only one who has not treated him cruelly.
From atop the research building, Dr. Moyers fires a fission ray cannon at Titano. The ray reverses the process that mutated Titano, but it also ultimately kills him. Moyers reports back to his boss, Sarge Steel in Washington and tells him that the press thus far is unaware of the true nature of the Titano project – to create a super-weapon.
- This issue was reprinted in Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 6.
- This comic book includes advertisements for the following products:
- —M&M chocolate candy
- —MPC racing car model kit
- —Tang orange-flavored drink
- —Cox – SB-X Stealth bomber model kit
- —Rain-Blo bubble gum
- —DC Comics – Wild Dog limited series debut
- —DC Comics – Silverblade limited series debut
- —DC Comics – Who's Who Update '87 comic reference series
- —DC Comics – The Shadow comic book series debut
- —DC Comics comic book subscription service
- —TSR – Dungeons & Dragons role playing game supplement
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Annual Vol 2 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman Annual series
- Superman (Volume 1) #127 (1st appearance of the Silver Age Titano)
- Superman (Volume 1) #138
- Superman (Volume 1) #142
- Superman (Volume 1) #147
- Adventure Comics #295 (Bizarro-Titano)
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #59
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #77
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #84
- Superman (Volume 1) #226
- Superman (Volume 1) #324 (Final appearance of the Silver Age Titano)
Links and References
- Superman Annual #1 entry at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman Annual #1 entry at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe