Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Execution 2001": In this installment of the Armageddon 2001 storyline, Waverider touches Superman and investigates a timeline in which he marries Lois Lane, but his happiness is short-lived when Mannheim of [[Intergang (New E
- Long ago, I thought that mankind could take care of itself -- That it would resent Superman if he took too much control! But the pettiness and greed of man has proven that approach was dead wrong! Earth needs a babysitter, Lana!
- -- Superman
Appearing in "Execution 2001"
Synopsis for "Execution 2001"
In this installment of the Armageddon 2001 storyline, Waverider touches Superman and investigates a timeline in which he marries Lois Lane, but his happiness is short-lived when Mannheim of Intergang detonates a nuclear device that destroys Metropolis, killing his wife along with all his friends there. Distraught over the loss, Superman is comforted by Lana Lang, who marries him.
Ten years later, Superman is seen more as an aggressive enforcer of nuclear disarmament. He flew around the world destroying every nuclear weapon that he sees. He had even stolen from the rich countries and donate to the third world countries like stealing X-ray equipment from Boston to donate them to Vietnam. However, when he sank an American sub, he had accidentally let seven sailors drown. The government decided to ask Batman to help take down Superman. Batman, worried about his friend, tried to talk to him only to realize that Superman was starting to act strange like speaking as if that Clark and Superman are two different people. So, he sent Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold, and Fire to talk to Superman while the other heroes guarded his elaborate tunnel system. The battle resulted in J'onn getting killed.
In a showdown resembling that of Dark Knight Returns, Batman in high-tech armor confronts Superman with Lex Luthor's Kryptonite Ring, fatally exposing him to its radiation. The Man of Steel dies calling out Lois' name while Batman looks on sadly at what he's done to his friend and former ally.
Waverider sees from this that Superman doesn't become Monarch, yet he wonders about the possibility of Batman becoming Monarch and zooms off to investigate his future timeline.
- This issue is intended as a reverse-analogue to the events of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
- This issue is part of the Armageddon 2001 crossover event.
- A second and third printing exists.
- Superman's crusade to rid the world of nuclear weapons in this story takes a much stronger hand on his part, and without any worldwide governmental consent, than the one he undertook in the movie Superman IV: The Quest For Peace.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Annual Vol 2 3 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman Annual series
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes
This comic issue is a part of the "Armageddon 2001" crossover event that took place throughout all of DC's Annuals in 1991.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Armageddon 2001 Crossover" category.