"The Super-Sword": Perry White goes on vacation leaving the rest of the staff at the Daily Planet to continue working without him, Lois publishes a story about how Superman had recently put "Bull" Mathews gang behind bars. News comes out about a mysterious knight trapped i
Appearing in "The Super-Sword"
- Bull Mathews
- The Black Knight's prop super-sword
Synopsis for "The Super-Sword"
Perry White goes on vacation leaving the rest of the staff at the Daily Planet to continue working without him, Lois publishes a story about how Superman had recently put "Bull" Mathews gang behind bars. News comes out about a mysterious knight trapped in a block of ice, prompting Clark to change into Superman to investigate. Smashing the knight out of the chunk of ice, he is shocked to find that the Black Knight is actually alive and was apparently trapped in that ice centuries ago by Merlin.
Brought back to Metropolis, the Black Knight then begins a crime spree, which gets the attention of Bull Mathews himself who is still at large. During another robbery, the Knight is stopped by Superman, however the Man of Steel is apparently wounded by the Knight's magical sword and has to be taken to a hospital.
The Black Knight is then propositioned by Bull Mathews to purchase the Knights sword so that he can kill Superman with it, a deal that the Knight accepts for $30,000. With the sword Mathews seemingly slays Superman, however when he goes to pay the Knight, Superman arrives alive and well, the whole plan really a trick to catch Bull Mathews. The next day, the Knight shows up at the Daily Planet and reveals himself to be none other than Perry White, who asked to help catch Mathews by Superman.
Appearing in "Mrs. Superman"
- Unnamed volcanic island
Synopsis for "Mrs. Superman"
While coming back from an overseas assignment, Clark Kent and Lois Lane's helicopter is knocked out of the sky by a meteor, forcing them to parachute to safety. They end up on a deserted island, and Clark soon realizes to his horror that the volcano is spraying Kryptonite dust into the air, and the lava beneath the island also has Kryptonite in it, and there is no lead around to protect him. Trapped on the island forever, Clark decides that he should reveal his secret identity to Lois and as her to marry him. At first, Lois doesn't believe that Clark is Superman, however, taking off his civilian clothes and showing his super powers quickly changes her mind.
Finding a tribe on the island, Superman and Lois Lane arrange to get married, however before the wedding there is an earthquake that causes the Kryptonite in the volcano to disperse. Superman realizing he's off the hook then orchestrates a series of props to show Lois that Clark Kent was using trickery to convince her that he's really Superman, and she falls for it. Clark then tosses a message in a bottle out to sea which is quickly found and they are rescued in time for Lois to publish a story about the Green Hand Gang.
Appearing in "The Steeplejack of Steel"
- Bart Benton
- T.B. Oliver
Synopsis for "The Steeplejack of Steel"
While out on patrol, Superman notices the construction of the new Metropolis sky tower had been compromised and uses his powers to repair the damage. Suspecting shoddy workman ship, Superman decides to go undercover when he notices that they are looking to hire more workers. In the guise of "Kirk Brent", Superman is hired on the job, however construction manager, who is using cheap materials to build the tower, believes that "Brent" might be a building inspector trying to uncover him. As Superman works on the job, the job boss constantly tries to prompt "accidents" that would put "Brent" out of work, however Superman's super powers and quick thinking defuses all the attempts. Eventually, Superman learns the identity of the boss behind the operation and busts both of them. Later, as Clark Kent, he capitalizes on the bust by publishing the expose in the Daily Planet.
- "The Super-Sword" is reprinted in Superman Annual #7, Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 1 and Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1.
- "Mrs. Superman" is reprinted in 80-Page Giant #14, Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 1 and Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1.
- "The Steeplejack of Steel" is reprinted in Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 1 and Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1.
- Jimmy Olsen appeared last in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #31. He appears next in Action Comics #244.
- Perry White appeared last in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #31. He appears next in Action Comics #244.
- On the cover to this issue, the Black Knight is seen saying, "On Guard". What he should actually be saying is, "En guarde".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 124 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
Links and References
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Superman article at Supermanica
- Superman (Volume 1) series index at DC Indexes
- Superman (Volume 1) series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Superman (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database Project