"The Revenge of the Super-Pets!": To learn why the late Mark Dane left his fortune to be used for an animal shelter to atone for his uncle Cyrus Atwill’s unnamed wrongs, Superman takes the Legion of Super-Pets back to the 1860s where they learn of Atwill’s abuses again
- But, girls... you asked for the truth... and you got it!
- -- Supergirl
Appearing in "The Revenge of the Super-Pets!"
- Superman (Adopts the temporary alias of Superb-O the strongman while in the 1860s)
- Legion of Super-Pets
- Perry White
- Cyrus Atwill (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Revenge of the Super-Pets!"
To learn why the late Mark Dane left his fortune to be used for an animal shelter to atone for his uncle Cyrus Atwill’s unnamed wrongs, Superman takes the Legion of Super-Pets back to the 1860s where they learn of Atwill’s abuses against animals and help teach him a lesson, with the help of ASPCA founder Henry Bergh.
Appearing in "Tales of Green Kryptonite No. 2"
- Jimmy Olsen (Flashback only)
- Krypto (Mentioned only)
- Lois Lane (Flashback only)
- Perry White (Flashback only)
- Professor Clyde (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- Supergirl (Mentioned only)
- Krypton (Destroyed in Flashback)
- Professor Clyde's Anti-Death Ray (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Tales of Green Kryptonite No. 2"
The chunk of Green Kryptonite goes on to relate how, after a planeful of journalists had engine trouble in the Arctic, Clark Kent was briefly weakened by the Green K and later decided to construct his permanent Fortress of Solitude there. Later, a professor learned how to make Kryptonite non-deadly to Superman by a radiation treatment. However, the treatment was only temporarily effective, and would make the treated Kryptonite deadly to normal humans. Thus, Superman destroyed the professor’s apparatus and used giant tongs to throw the Green Kryptonite into space. It passed through the red cosmic cloud that transformed it into Red Kryptonite and sent it hurtling back towards Earth.
Appearing in "Superman's Day of Truth!"
- Jimmy Olsen
- Lana Lang
- Lois Lane
- Lucy Lane (Mentioned only)
- Perry White
- Professor Potter
- Supergirl (Flashback and main story)
- Vrangs (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- Brainiac (Mentioned only)
- Supergirl Fan Club (Flashback only)
- Kryptonians (Flashback only)
- Val-Lor (First appearance) (Dies in flashback)
- Krypton (Flashback only)
- Jewel Mountains (Flashback only)
- Red Kryptonite (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "Superman's Day of Truth!"
When Superman has to testify at a trial, the lawyer for the plaintiff insists on having him write his secret identity's name on a blackboard--which he does, but at such super-speed that the blackboard melts from the friction before anyone can see it. When asked to give the location of his Fortress of Solitude, Superman gives the coordinates for his long-abandoned underwater Fortress.
Finally, Supergirl and Superman shrink themselves and go to Kandor, where they and the Kandorians celebrate the Day of Truth. This is a holiday observed in honor of the ancient hero Val-Lor, who spoke up boldly against the Vrang invaders who oppressed Kryptonians, died for his words, and sparked a revolt that liberated Krypton. Later, Superman and Supergirl reveal what they had to do to their friends, and are forgiven.
- "Superman's Day of Truth!" was reprinted in Superman #241.
- The ASPCA is mistakenly referred to in "The Revenge of the Super-Pets!" as the SPCA.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 176 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series