"Must There Be a Superman?": Superman is given the notion by the Guardians of the Universe that he might be holding back social progress on Earth by his presence. Accordingly, when he goes back to Earth, he helps out a group of oppressed agricultural workers up to a point...and then insists tha
Appearing in "Must There Be a Superman?"
Synopsis for "Must There Be a Superman?"
Superman is given the notion by the Guardians of the Universe that he might be holding back social progress on Earth by his presence. Accordingly, when he goes back to Earth, he helps out a group of oppressed agricultural workers up to a point...and then insists that they help themselves.
Appearing in "When On Earth"
- Appearances not yet listed
Synopsis for "When On Earth"
Clark Kent learns that a WGBS receptionist’s kid brother is running with a teenaged gang. He confronts the youths without changing into Superman, to give Bick a chance to change his course, and succeeds.
Appearing in "Muto--Monarch of Menace!"
- Jay L-3388/Jay Senohl (future descendant of Jimmy Olsen)
- Lyra 3916 (future descendant of Lois Lane)
- Muto (First appearance)
- Yann (Muto's lieutenant) (Single appearance)
- Thargo (Muto's lieutenant) (Single appearance)
- Von-Don (Muto's lieutenant) (First appearance)
- Three Android Children
- Lois Lane(Cameo)
- Lex Luthor(Cameo)
- Superman IV (Flashback only)
- Superman V (in a film)
- Superman VII (Flashback only)
- Superman VII's son (Flashback only)
- Vyldan (in a film)
- Superman XX's father (Flashback only)
- Metropolis of 2496/2966
- Weapons World
- Computer Newspaper Editor (Computer PW-5598)
- Micro-Reel Player
- Green Kryptonite
- Deadly Space Fungus
- Suspended Mono-Rail Train
- Space transport (on which Muto was born) (Flashback only)
- Various futuristic vehicles
- Muto's escape rocket
Synopsis for "Muto--Monarch of Menace!"
This story is reprinted from Action Comics #338.
Muto returns with a plan to kill his greatest enemy, the Superman of 2966. Muto raids a planet containing the greatest weapons in the universe. Superman falls for a decoy which lures him away, allowing Muto to escape. Superman tracks Muto and spots him starting a flood. The rushing water endangers three children. Superman tries to rescue the children, only to discover that they are androids. The flood waters engulf Superman exposing him to his only weakness, atomic fallout in the sea water.
- Must There Be a Superman? is reprinted in The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told and Superman: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- The title of this story also appears as the title of a Newstime article appearing on its cover, that a news vendor is seen selling during Magog's flashback scene in Kingdom Come #2. It would seem by the use of that title for the article that the people of Metropolis and the world in general during the time of the flashback were questioning whether Superman should continue as a superhero in the light of the growing atmosphere of distrust with Superman's generation of superheroes.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 247 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
Links and References
- No external links.
This comic page is missing characters!
This comic page is missing one or more character appearances. If you find any characters that appear in this issue but are not included on the page, please add them to the Appearances list of the comic issue template.