"Secret of the Phantom Quarterback!": Former Metropolis Meteors star quarterback is walking down the street when he sees a baby falling from a building. He saves the infant, but awakens an old knee injury that he gained during his pro football years. A scientifi
- He's deliberately trying to crush my hand with that grip of his! I'd better fake pain, or Lois will be suspicious.
- -- Clark Kent
Appearing in "Secret of the Phantom Quarterback!"
- Phantom Quarterback (Single appearance)
- Metropolis Meteors
- Frederic Fowe (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Secret of the Phantom Quarterback!"
Former Metropolis Meteors star quarterback is walking down the street when he sees a baby falling from a building. He saves the infant, but awakens an old knee injury that he gained during his pro football years. A scientific "miracle worker" named Frederic Fowe witnesses the spectacle and offers to treat Steve's injuries. He uses a special solar healing ray which quickly restores Lombard to proper health. However, the ray also demonstrates an unusual side-effect, as it creates a solar-powered energy being based upon Steve's likeness. The energy being adorns itself in one of Steve’s old football jerseys and becomes the Phantom Quarterback.
The Phantom Quarterback bounds across Metropolis committing random acts. Superman arrives on the scene, and determines that the entity is more a nuisance than an aid, and so he launches the creature into outer space where it impacts with a sunspot on Earth’s sun.
Later, Morgan Edge of WGBS hires Steve Lombard to work for him as a sportscaster. Clark Kent and Lois Lane immediately take a disliking to Steve who irritates them with his aloof attitude and quirky behavior.
Appearing in "The Headband Warriors of Krypton!"
Synopsis for "The Headband Warriors of Krypton!"
A Kryptonian mother tells her son how the ancient hero Rik-Ar overthrew a tyrant with slings made of headbands, which were worn in his honor thereafter.
- This issue was published two months after issue Superman #263.
- Steve Lombard becomes a regularly recurring supporting character with this issue.
- The main storyline from this issue is re-imagined in DC Comics Presents: Superman #1.
- Frederic Fowe's violet healing ray is similar to the Purple Healing Ray used by the Amazons of Paradise Island.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 264 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 264
Links and References
- Read "Secret of the Phantom Quarterback!" online
- Superman (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Superman article at Supermanica
- Superman article at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- Superman article at Don Markstein's Toonopedia
- Superman article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Lois Lane article at Wikipedia
- Lois Lane biography page at Supermanica
- Lois Lane biography page at Mike's Amazing World of DC
- Steve Lombard article at Supermanica