- Well, maybe now Leslie will have a chance to find out. A second chance. That's what America is about, really. That's the American way. Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness-- and second chances. None of us are forced into being anything we don't want to be. When I was young, I knew that I would be someone different when I grew up. I would leave home and make a new life for myself. A new start, a second chance. When I first went to Metropolis, it was filled with people who'd done the same thing. People from all over America-- from all over the world-- who went to the city to live the lives they wanted, to be the people they wanted to be. That's the idea America that was founded on, but it's not just for people born here. It's for everyone. And it's for people like me and Livewire, too.
- -- Superman
Appearing in "Grounded: Part Nine"
Synopsis for "Grounded: Part Nine"
The mayor of Provo, Utah, gives Superman the key to the city. Suddenly, Superman hears a frequency emitted by Jimmy Olsen's watch. Superman goes to Las Vegas, where Jimmy is, and sees that Livewire has trapped hostages within an electric field. Among the hostages are Iron Munro and Lisa Jennings. Superman gives Jimmy the key he received from the mayor and goes to stop Livewire. Superman is confused on why is Livewire has returned to open villainy when she decided to begin a new honest life after helping Superman defeating the Auctioneer. Superman tries to reason with her, but Livewire attacks him with lightning bolts. Also, she transforms into pure energy and moves through the city's power grid to escape from Superman.
While Superman and Livewire fight, Jennings tries to escape the electric field, but she is shocked by the electricity and drops her Sunstone. Iron Munro tries to help her and touches the Sunstone, which gives Iron Munro visions of Superman's recent tragedies. Jennings takes the Sunstone back.
To help Superman, Jimmy calls Dr. Serling Roquette of S.T.A.R. Labs and asks her for a way to stop Livewire. Dr. Roquette tells Jimmy that Livewire's increased power is affecting her mind and that the only way to stop her is using a containment suit to dissipate Livewire's excessive power. Superman intercepts the call with his super-hearing and goes to the Fortress of Solitude. There, he finds the suit he used when he was an energy being. He takes the suit to S.T.A.R. Labs, and Dr. Roquette modifies to suit to contain Livewire.
Livewire attacks Jimmy, but he straps the key to a wire and throws it to her. This weakens Livewire and dissipates the electric field, allowing the hostages to escape. Jennings escapes in the confusion. Livewire tries to attack the hostages, but Iron Munro protects them with his invulnerability. Superman then puts the modified suit on Livewire, which returns her power levels to normal.
Livewire is arrested, but she may not receive a hard sentence since she only damaged property and there were no injuries, and also Superman spoke in her favor. Iron Munro also chooses to use his influence in the Justice Department to help Livewire. Jimmy asks Superman why is he helping Livewire, and Superman answers that in America, everyone deserves a second chance.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 711 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 711
Links and References
- No external links.