"The Super Menace of Metropolis!": Clark Kent arrives at work and finds that his X-Ray vision is acting bizarrely. First he sees his fellow staff members as white skeletons, then he begins seeing them completely naked. Shortly thereafter, his heat vision begins acting
- Great Caesar's Ghost!
- -- Perry White
Appearing in "The Super Menace of Metropolis!"
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Klaash robot
- Lexcorp satellite
Synopsis for "The Super Menace of Metropolis!"
Clark Kent arrives at work and finds that his X-Ray vision is acting bizarrely. First he sees his fellow staff members as white skeletons, then he begins seeing them completely naked. Shortly thereafter, his heat vision begins acting up. Realizing that he must leave, Clark quickly dashes out of the building.
Flying high over Metropolis, his super-hearing begins to intensify to the point that he hears everything that is taking place in the city. Suddenly, a large red robot called, Klaash, flies from out of nowhere and begins attacking Superman. Superman tries to fight the robot, but faces numerous problems as his powers are still going out of control.
They continue their fight in Constitution Plaza in midtown Metropolis. Unfortunately, Klaash has a warp field surrounding him so that only Superman can see him (using his infra-red vision). His voice is pitched at a modulation that only Superman's super-hearing can detect it. To the casual observer, it appears as if Superman is going berserk fighting with no one.
Superman calms down long enough to figure out what is going on. He takes Klaash high into the atmosphere and destroys him. He discovers that one of Lex Luthor's satellites had been intensifying the solar radiation in Superman's cells causing his powers to go out of control. The satellite is also responsible for Klaash's programming. Superman destroys the satellite and sends Maggie Sawyer to the Lexcorp offices to interrogate Luthor. Lex is armed with a lawyer ready to declare that the Klaash robot was a defense project that had malfunctioned. He offers to pay for the damages, and as such, cannot be held accountable for any attacks made against Superman.
- This issue was reprinted in Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 5.
- First and only appearance of the Klaash robot.
- Second appearance of Cynthia, Lex Luthor's chauffer. She appeared last in Superman #9. She appears next in Millennium #7.
- Superman first began losing control of his powers in Superman (Volume 2) #8.
- Behind the scenes appearance of Jim and Jamie Sawyer, Maggie Sawyer's ex-husband and daughter. They will make their first actual appearance in Superman (Volume 2) #15.
- In this issue, Luthor promises to get even with Maggie Sawyer and begins investigating her background. He will confront Maggie with his results in the third story in Action Comics #600.
- This is the first time in this title that Perry White can be heard shouting, "Great Caesar's Ghost!" This was a phrase he often bellowed in the Pre-Crisis continuity as well as on the 1950's television program, The Adventures of Superman.
- This comic book features advertisements for the following products:
- —M&M chocolate candy
- —Chewy Chalk fruit candy
- —DC Comics - Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld comic book limited series
- —DC Comics - Doc Savage comic book limited series
- —Mile High Comics comic book back-issue catalogue
- —East Coast Comics comic book back-issue catalogue
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 10 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Superman #10 entry at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman #10 entry at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe