"Lightning Strikes Twice, Part III of III": Eclipso takes full control over Superman. He punches Captain Marvel across the jaw with a blow that sends him flying towards Hawaii. He flies after him, and throws another pu
- Give me what I want, Marvel... or I can fill the Grand Canyon with corpses. That's quite the image, isn't it?
- -- Eclipso
Appearing in "Lightning Strikes Twice, Part III of III"
- Superman (Eclipsed)
Synopsis for "Lightning Strikes Twice, Part III of III"
Eclipso takes full control over Superman. He punches Captain Marvel across the jaw with a blow that sends him flying towards Hawaii. He flies after him, and throws another punch, but Marvel catches his fist in his hand. The eclipsed Superman realizes that Marvel's morality is his "weakness", so he distracts him by flinging an ocean liner across the surface of the sea. Marvel saves the ocean liner, and then decides upon an alternate strategy.
He flies high above Superman's head and shouts "Shazam". The mystic lightning bolt transforms Marvel back into Billy Batson. Billy begins plummeting towards the Earth, and Eclipso/Superman rushes in to save him. Eclipso wants to assume permanent control of Marvel's body, so he cannot let him die. As Superman catches Billy, the young boy begins quickly speaking the name, Shazam, repeatedly alternating between his two forms. Multiple bolts of mystic lightning rain downward striking both Marvel and Superman. It is Marvel's hope that Superman's vulnerability towards magic might weaken Eclipso's hold over him.
Suddenly, the wizard Shazam appears to defend Billy Batson. Keeping Super-Eclipso at bay with a volley of electric bursts, Shazam summons the essence of the Spectre. The untethered Spectre exercises Eclipso from Superman's body and places it back inside the Heart of Darkness. The Heart of Darkness instantly disappears.
- This book was first published on April 27, 2005.
- Story continued from Adventures of Superman Vol 1 639.
- This issue is reprinted in the Day of Vengeance trade paperback.
- Eclipso appears next in Day of Vengeance #1.
- This is not the first time that Captain Marvel has had to face an Eclipsed Superman. He first fought against Super-Eclipso in Action Comics Annual #4.
- This issue is the first canonical use of the "lightning strike ambush". In Earth-22 continuity, a brainwashed Captain Marvel used a similar tactic to weaken Superman. The editors of this issue credit Mark Waid and Alex Ross for the inspiration. 
- Chronologically, Superman and Captain Marvel first battled Eclipso in the Superman/Shazam - First Thunder limited series.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 216 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
|Lightning Strikes Twice|
|Part I: Action Comics #826||Part II: Adventures of Superman #639||Part III: Superman (Volume 2) #216|
- Action Comics
- Power of Shazam
- Spectre (Volume 5)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman/Shazam - First Thunder
Links and References
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Superman biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Superman article at Supermanica
- Superman article at Toonopedia
- Superman (Volume 2) series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman (Volume 2) series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Captain Marvel article at Toonopedia
- Captain Marvel biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Shazam article at Wikipedia
- Shazam biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
[[Category:Lightning Strikes Twice|Superman Vol 2 0216]]