"It's Just a Shot Away!": Superman and the MSCU investigate the mysterious crimes of Baron Sunday, a crimelord who has been murdering people through apparently supernatural means. For meddling in his affairs, the Baron swears that he will k
Appearing in "It's Just a Shot Away!"
Synopsis for "It's Just a Shot Away!"
Superman and the MSCU investigate the mysterious crimes of Baron Sunday, a crimelord who has been murdering people through apparently supernatural means. For meddling in his affairs, the Baron swears that he will kill Superman as well.
Meanwhile, the Invasion! takes Metropolis by storm. Sarge Steel of the Central Bureau of Intelligence arrives at the Daily Planet and attempts to contact Superman. The federal government wants Superman to avoid confrontation with the Alien Alliance at all costs, to avoid a diplomatic incident. Clark tirades out, and criticizes Steel for his bureaucracy.
Thanagarians attack the city with the intention of burning it to the ground, and Superman has no choice but to defy the presidential mandate and take action into his own hands once again. Superman piles on the retaliatory punishment, and sends droves of their warriors back, unable to contend with his mighty abilities. However, the moment the Hawkmen retreat, Baron Sunday uses a voodoo doll taken from a shred of Supe's cape, and sends him plummeting to the ground in pain, down into the sewers, unconscious from pain and halfway dead. The public is largely given reason to believe that he's dead.
Much later, Captain Atom, in charge of Earth's superhero forces during the Crisis, stops by to investigate the incident. While attempting to track down the Man of Steel, he runs into the Guardian, and enlists him for the duration of the conflict.
Gangbuster also looks for leads on the case, and tracks Sunday down to his apartment. The Baron is quick on the draw, and surrounds the vigilante with a powerful magic sphere, capable of holding six men... but Gangbuster busts out of it with nothing but his own force of will, kicks his butt and drops him off at the police station before continuing his patrol. All in a night's work.
- Reprinted in Superman: The Exile & Other Stories Omnibus.
- This issue is an Invasion! First Strike extra, and a tie-in to the larger story told in the Invasion! miniseries. These crossovers take place in between Invasion! #1 and Invasion! #2, largely dealing with the Alien Alliance's assault on Earth and the way heroes around the world were participating in the initial war effort.
- This story continues in Adventures of Superman #449.
- Captain Atom appeared last in Captain Atom #24. He appears next in Invasion! #2.
- Clark Kent mentions also being required by the government not to take action during Legends.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 26 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 2 26
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Invasion! at Wikipedia.org
- Invasion! at the DCU Guide