""Bloodsport!"": Jimmy Olsen is having lunch with Lucy Lane, when a maniac named Bloodsport, begins firing wildly into the restaurant rambling about the days when "Mickey and he got their cans shot off in 'Nam". Cops converge on the scene, but Bloodsport hops on his motorcycle and sp
- There's a madman on the loose, Superman. A cannon-slinging lunatic who calls himself... Bloodsport!
- -- Jimmy Olsen
Appearing in "Bloodsport!"
- Doctor Kimberly (First appearance)
- Doctor Sanchez (Single appearance)
- Michael DuBois (Single appearance)
- Bloodsport's "Super-Cycle"
Synopsis for "Bloodsport!"
Jimmy Olsen is having lunch with Lucy Lane, when a maniac named Bloodsport, begins firing wildly into the restaurant rambling about the days when "Mickey and he got their cans shot off in 'Nam". Cops converge on the scene, but Bloodsport hops on his motorcycle and speeds off.
Superman arrives and consults with Metropolis Special Crimes Unit inspector, Maggie Sawyer. He uses his infrared vision to trace the heat signature from Bloodsport's bike. Superman tracks him to the Kenmore Bowling Alley and engages him. Bloodsport begins teleporting high-tech weaponry into his hands, including a rifle that fire Kryptonite needles. Superman knows that the only two people aware of Kryptonite are Lex Luthor and Metallo. Jimmy Olsen arrives to try and help Superman out, but Bloodsport escapes.
Lex Luthor is indeed the one who hired Bloodsport to kill Superman, but he had not counted on Bloodsport's insanity. As the civilian casualty rate rises, Luthor sends his own armored team out to stop Bloodsport.
Superman faces him again in the streets of Metropolis. He uses his heat-vision to ionize the air around Bloodsport's hands, disrupting the teleportation wave that allows the maniac to materialize his weapons. Luthor’s team also arrives prepared to take down Bloodsport.
Bloodsport's brother, Michael DuBois, arrives. Although Bloodsport spoke as if he were in the Vietnam War, in truth it was his brother, Michael, who served and lost his arms and legs. Michael calms his brother down; Bloodsport's rampage ends.
- This issue was reprinted in Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 3.
- This story follows Action Comics #586.
- First appearance of Inspector Maggie Sawyer of the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit. Superman chronologically met her in an earlier flashback appearance as detailed in Adventures Of Superman Annual #7. She appears next in Superman (Volume 2) #9.
- Lucy Lane appeared last in Adventures Of Superman #424. She appears next in Adventures Of Superman #433.
- The tagline to this issue is, "Bloodsport... He Plays for Keeps!"
- This comic book features advertisements for the following products:
- —DC Comics – Legends crossover comic books: Shazam: The New Beginning, Justice League of America #261, Legends #6.
- —MPC Bodybuilder racing car model kit
- —DC Comics – Justice League comic book series debut
- —DC Comics – Spectre comic book series debut
- —Mile High Comics comic book back-issue catalogue
- —DC Comics comic book subscription service
- —Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, Inc.
- Superman image gallery
- Superman appearances list
- Jimmy Olsen quotes page
- John Byrne cover art gallery
- Jimmy Olsen appearances list
- Lex Luthor appearances list
- Lucy Lane appearances list
- Maggie Sawyer appearances list
- Metropolis Special Crimes Unit
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 4 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 2 4
Links and References
- Superman #4 entry at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman #4 entry at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe (character chronologies)