"The Mummy Strikes": After a tantalizing dream involving Wonder Woman, Clark rushes down to the Daily Planet. There he learns, that Lois Lane has been covering an archaeological expedition in South America. But the Planet has lost contact with her, and Perry wants Clark to fly to South A
- Clark Kent and Lois Lane are the biggest professional rivals on the Planet staff... but he's obviously carrying a torch for her bigger than Lady Liberty's.
- -- Perry White
Appearing in "The Mummy Strikes"
- Alice (First appearance)
- Cat Grant
- Jimmy Olsen
- Lois Lane
- Perry White
- Whit (First appearance)
- Wonder Woman (In dream sequence only)
- The H'v'ler'ni (First appearance)
- Carlos (First appearance)
- Doctor Estevez (First appearance)
- Emilio (First appearance)
- Raoul Estevez (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Mummy Strikes"
After a tantalizing dream involving Wonder Woman, Clark rushes down to the Daily Planet. There he learns, that Lois Lane has been covering an archaeological expedition in South America. But the Planet has lost contact with her, and Perry wants Clark to fly to South America to see what is going on.
Clark flies there as Superman and quickly changes clothes. Uniting with Lois, they meet Dr. Estevez who has been unearthing an ancient pyramid. There is evidence of an advanced society dating back in excess of 100,000 years. Not only that, but and underground silo shows the ancient culture to have been more advanced than even modern society.
Clark explores the inside of the pyramid until he comes upon a gigantic over-sized mummy. The mummy comes to life and begins attacking him causing a cave-in. Clark pushes Lois outside the debris field and begins fighting the mummy with his super powers. It is obvious that this not a regular mummy, but rather a large mechanical robot.
Lois and Dr. Estevez manage to claw their way inside in the hopes of rescuing Clark. When they find him however, he is lying atop a pile of debris and appears to be dead.
- This issue was reprinted in Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 3.
- Part 1 of a 2 part story, which concludes next issue.
- First appearance of Alice, an intern at the Daily Planet; appears next in Superman (Volume 2) #7. Alice's background is given further detail in Adventures of Superman #462.
- First appearance of Whit, an employee of the Daily Planet. He appears next in Superman (Volume 2) #9.
- Wonder Woman appears in a dream sequence only. The dream relates to events that took place in Legends #6.
- The Kent Family scrapbook makes a behind the scenes appearance as a gift-wrapped package delivered to the Daily Planet. It was first seen in Superman (Volume 2) #2.
- This comic book features advertisements for the following products:
- —M&M chocolate candy
- —MPC toy racing car model set
- —DC Comics - Suicide Squad comic series debut
- —DC Comics - Young All-Stars comic series debut
- —DC Comics comic book subscription service
- —DC Comics - Flash comic series debut
- —Chips Ahoy! chocolate chip cookies.
- Superman image gallery
- Superman appearances list
- Perry White quotes page
- John Byrne cover art gallery
- Cat Grant appearances list
- Jimmy Olsen appearances list
- Lois Lane appearances list
- Perry White appearances list
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 5 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
Links and References
- Superman #5 entry at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman #5 entry at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe