- I knew I'd bury you one day, you sanctimonious self-righteous pain!
Appearing in "The End"
- Colin Thornton
- Jimmy Olsen
- Jonathan Kent (Apparent Death) (Flashback and main story)
- Martha Kent
- Superman (Deceased) (Flashback and main story)
- Lex Luthor, Jr. (Flashback and main story)
- Gene (a physician)
- Mister Washington (Colin Thornton's assistant)
- Wanda (a karate instructor)
- Outsiders motorcyle
Synopsis for "The End"
Lex Luthor has a sparring session with his karate instructor Sasha Green. Sasha shows no reluctance in showing that she means business, and kicks Lex so hard that he lands on his backside. Lex is furious at such an effrontery, but restrains himself from taking action.
Supergirl and Lois Lane interrupt his session to inform him that Paul Westfield of Cadmus Labs has abducted Superman's body with the intent of cloning him. Lex promises Lois that he will do everything in his power to make sure that Superman is put back "where he belongs".
Meanwhile, Jonathan Kent goes into cardiac arrest. Martha Kent rushes him to Smallville Medical Center where doctors labor to save his life. Jonathan has a coma dream wherein he sees his son Clark, beckoning him to come home. He has visions of the past of times spent with his son, watching him grow up.
Jimmy Olsen has a meeting with Colin Thornton of Newstime Magazine. Colin wants Jimmy to select the photograph that will be used in a Superman retrospective piece. Jimmy still cannot come to terms with the loss of Superman.
Later at LexCorp, Lex Luthor barges into the women's locker room and throttles Sasha Green to the point of death.
Meanwhile, Supergirl flies Lois Lane towards Project Cadmus. She drops her off near the Habitat are patrolled by the Outsiders. Supergirl breaks into Cadmus, recovers Superman's body and returns it to the crypt in Centennial Park. Lex Luthor arrives at the memorial and privately muses over burying Superman once again. With no ears around to hear him, Luthor confesses to murdering Sasha Green.
Back in Smallville, Jonathan Kent flatlines.
- This issue is reprinted in the World Without a Superman trade paperback, the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, and the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus.
- This issue is the final chapter of the "Funeral for a Friend" story-arc. The next major storyline is "Reign of the Supermen!" which begins in Adventures of Superman #500.
- This issue is triangle number 10/1993.
- This issue went to a second printing. The first printing of this issue bears a white Superman logo whereas the second print edition has a yellow logo.
- Although Sasha Green dies in this issue, she is later resurrected during the events of Bloodlines by the alien Parasite "Gemir", who's feeding upon her spinal fluids activates latent metahuman powers within her. This event sparks a series of intrigues that culminates in the "Battle for Metropolis" and "Fall of Metropolis" storylines.
- Appearances to the contrary, Jonathan Kent does not die at this time. He will survive the near-fatal heart attack from this issue and live for several more years. Jonathan Kent ultimately passes away from heart failure in Action Comics #870.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 77 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Superman (Volume 2) series index at DCU Guide
- Superman (Volume 2) series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Superman (Volume 2) series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
Superman: Man of Steel #21
Adventures of Superman #500
The Death and Return of Superman