Appearing in "Deadly Alliance"
- Coast City (Destroyed)
Synopsis for "Deadly Alliance"
Lex Luthor II is desiring to prove that the four pretenders to the name Superman are all liars when the LexSat communications satellite picks up an enormous spacecraft approaching Earth, with telemetry suggesting that it's heading toward Coast City. Meanwhile, the Last Son of Krypton is in Coast City helping to put out a fire at Ferris Aircraft when he hears the warning of the spacecraft coming and decides to stay and help. White House security contacts Cyborg Superman of the same situation and decides to head to Coast City to deal with it. As the enormous ship hovers over Coast City, it launches loads of carnage globes all over. The Last Son of Krypton is puzzled over their appearance and decides to investigate the ship that's dropping them, but the Cyborg Superman blasts him away, saying he will be blamed for the destruction of Coast City. Soon the carnage globes ignite, releasing a firestorm that consumes the entire city and reduces the Last Son Of Krypton to a nearly powerless humanoid form of energy. Over the crater that was Coast City, the ship launches mechanical "seeds" that burrow into the ground and build a new "city" in its place. The Cyborg Superman hides what he sees from White House security by saying that there's nothing left in the place where Coast City was and rendezvous with the captain of the ship, who turns out to be Mongul, kneeling before him and kissing his hand. Cyborg Superman says that Metropolis will be next.
- This issue is triangle number 22 for the year 1993. It takes place between Superman: Man of Steel #24 and Adventures of Superman #503.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman omnibus, the Superman: The Return of Superman, as well as the 2016 edition trade paperbacks, and the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus.
- Coast City is destroyed in this issue. The ramifications from this incident set the stage for the upcoming "Emerald Twilight" story-arc in Green Lantern (Volume 3) as well as the 1994 limited series Zero Hour: Crisis in Time!.
- A Coast City resident says that Green Lantern, their resident hero, has not been around recently. He is referring to the character's involvement in DC Universe: Trinity.
- Coast City's destruction is also mentioned in Green Lantern Vol.3 #45.
- Carol Ferris references a recent incident she's been having nightmares about while talking to Clay Kendall. The two of them were recently almost killed by Alien Parasites during Bloodlines, in Green Lantern (Volume 3) Annual #2. This issue incorrectly cites the event as having taken place during Green Lantern (Volume 3) Annual #3, which is an Elseworlds taking place in Nazi Germany.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 80 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 2 80
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Adventures of Superman #501 entry at the Grand Comics Database
- Adventures of Superman #501 entry at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Adventures of Superman series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Adventures of Superman series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
The Death and Return of Superman