Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Black Orchid, real name Susan Linden, is a mysterious investigator with ties to the Green. She was a master of disguise.
Born and raised in the suburbs of Metropolis, Susan Linden developed a love for the plant kingdom from her school sweetheart, botanist Philip Sylvain. But that love was not stronger than her fear for her abusive father, so she ran away. She traveled the world, working oddjobs everywhere. She eventually became a blackjack dealer, making extra money skimming the house, when she met Carl Thorne, a smooth arms dealer working for Lex Luthor. They married, but things soon went sour when Thorne decided to rob from Luthor.
Susan ran away, back to Sylvain. She reported Thorne to the police, but he killed her. Sylvain, mourning the loss, decided to use his studies on her body, and made her a human/plant hybrid named Black Orchid. Using her incredible powers, she fought crime by disguising herself, and brought many criminals to justice. She could not, however, get to Luthor. When they crossed paths, Luthor had her killed. Her consciousness fled back to Sylvain's laboratory, which caused a second orchid body to awaken. The consciousness itself made its way into a smaller hybrid body, which came to call itself "Suzy" and served as the second Black Orchid's companion, and when it reached maturity, became the third Black Orchid.
- Unique Physiology: Although Black Orchid had a number of superpowers—she could fly and was nigh-invulnerable—her main ability was a mastery of disguise.
- Disguise: She often spent an entire investigation impersonating an insignificant background female, such as a maid, a secretary, someone's girlfriend, and the others only discovered her involvement later upon finding the abandoned disguise with her calling card, a black orchid.
- Vulnerability to Herbicide: Any sort of weedkiller can cause damage to Black Orchid's unique physiology.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 27 Appearances of Susan Linden (New Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Susan Linden (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Susan Linden (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Susan Linden (New Earth)
Suicide Squad member