Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Last of the Ravenwind Witches": Swamp Thing stows away on a merchant vessel leaving Europe bound for America. Mid-voyage, he is discovered and the crew of the ship attacks him. He fights them off and leaps into the sea, where he eventually washes ashore near the cliffs of Divinity, [[Ma
Appearing in "The Last of the Ravenwind Witches"
- Timothy Ravenwind (First appearance)
- Rebecca Ravenwind (Single appearance)
- Gideon (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Last of the Ravenwind Witches"
Swamp Thing stows away on a merchant vessel leaving Europe bound for America. Mid-voyage, he is discovered and the crew of the ship attacks him. He fights them off and leaps into the sea, where he eventually washes ashore near the cliffs of Divinity, Maine.
The town of Divinity is an anachronism, still stuck within the cultural confines of the 17th century. One of the town's leading men, Gideon blames recent troubles on an accused witch named Rebecca Ravenwind. As villagers gather together to apprehend her, Rebecca and her simple-minded brother Timothy retreat to the ocean-side caves. There, she meets the Swamp Thing who helps to keep her safe.
But the villagers eventually come into conflict with him and drive him back as Gideon captures Rebecca and Timothy. Rebecca is put on trial and Gideon blames her for being the last in a line of witches that has cursed his family name for generations. Rebecca is found guilty of witchcraft and sentenced to die by burning.
Swamp Thing makes it back to the courthouse and breaks Timothy out of prison. He further prevents Gideon's people from burning Rebecca at the stake. Rebecca turns her magic upon the villagers and summons a massive thunderstorm. After several flashes of lightning, Swamp Thing looks to find that Gideon and the villagers have been turned into flowers. Rebecca turns to him and reveals the fact that she is not a witch. Timothy is the true witch, and she merely acts as his familiar.
Swamp Thing leaves, satisfied that Rebecca and Timothy will not come to any further harm.
- This issue is reprinted in Roots of the Swamp Thing #3, DC Special Series #17, Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis and the Secret of the Swamp Thing collection.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Swamp Thing Vol 1 5 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Swamp Thing series
- Swamp Thing (Volume 1)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 2)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 3)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 4)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 5)
Links and References
- Swamp Thing at Wikipedia
- Swamp Thing at Sequart
- Swamp Thing at Toonopedia
- Swamp Thing at DCU Guide
- Swamp Thing Annotations
- Swamp Thing Database at Roots of the Swamp Thing
- Swamp Thing at TV Tropes
- Swamp Thing movie entry at the Internet Movie Databse (IMDB)
- Swamp Thing live-action television series at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
- Swamp Thing animated series at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)