"The Bad Seed": The issue opens in the world of the third story of the book River Run. This world contains many similarities to Earth-Three. Abigail Arcane has been recently orphaned. She is invited to live with her kind uncle Anton Arcane, his wife Anna, and their son Joey on a farm in Iowa
Appearing in "The Bad Seed"
- Anton Arcane (fictional character)
- Joey Arcane (fictional character)
- Abigail Arcane (fictional character)
- Gregori Arcane (fictional character)
- Inside River Run
Synopsis for "The Bad Seed"
The issue opens in the world of the third story of the book River Run. This world contains many similarities to Earth-Three. Abigail Arcane has been recently orphaned. She is invited to live with her kind uncle Anton Arcane, his wife Anna, and their son Joey on a farm in Iowa. But, this version of Abby is nothing like the version that Swamp Thing knows. She is actually a homunculus created by her father Gregori. It has been assumed that Gregori was killed in an accident, but actually Abigail murdered him. While working on the farm she creates a Scare Crow in the corn field and infuses it with the soul of her father. She torments the scarecrow at night and slowly proceeds to dismantle the family. She kills Joey, and kidnaps Anna.
Meanwhile Swamp Thing has been unable to manifest in the plants on this world, so he possesses the body of the scarecrow, supplanting Gregori's soul. Abby convinces Swamp Thing that she is a good and kind person and that her uncle Anton is evil. Swamp Thing is easily convinced because that is what they are like in his reality.
Abby goes back to the house where she is confronted by Anton. Anton has finally figured out what Abby has done. He demands to know where Abby is. Abby tells him to look in the basement. Anna is still alive but has been tortured. Disgusted by what Abby has done to Anna, Anton grabs a hammer and proceeds to chase her out of the house. Abby flees through the corn field to where Swamp Thing is. Swamp Thing kills Anton. After talking to Abby Swamp Thing leaves the world to continue his journey through the book. Once he leaves the body Gregori possesses it again. Abby and Gregori go to the basement of the barn where Anna is held. Gregori proceeds to assault her while Abby laughs.
- This issue is reprinted in the Swamp Thing: Darker Genesis collection.
- Radio reports of Ultraman and Owlman being arrested after an attempt to vandalize the Statue of Liberty and a "Superhuman Rehabilitation Program" initiated by Vice President Luthor indicate this reality was inspired by Earth-Three.
- There appears to be a typo in Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Compendium as it lists the next issue as an appearance of Earth-Three.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Swamp Thing Vol 2 154 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Swamp Thing series
Links and References
- No external links.
This comic page is missing characters!
This comic page is missing one or more character, location or item appearances. If you find any characters that appear in this issue but are not included on the page, please add them to the Appearances list of the comic issue template.