"The Nuke-Face Papers, Part 1": In Blossomville, Pennsylvania, a strange, disfigured, and clearly insane homeless man known as Nukeface is associated with causing the disappearances of several other homeless people from the site of a former strip-mine now being used
Appearing in "The Nuke-Face Papers, Part 1"
- Nukeface (First appearance)
- Diagonal Bob
- Wallace Monroe
Synopsis for "The Nuke-Face Papers, Part 1"
In Blossomville, Pennsylvania, a strange, disfigured, and clearly insane homeless man known as Nukeface is associated with causing the disappearances of several other homeless people from the site of a former strip-mine now being used as a toxic waste dump.
Somewhere near Houma, Nukeface offers his current companion, Bob, a swig from a can containing nuclear waste, and in addition to its physical effects, it causes Bob to hallucinate that everything is blue. Meanwhile, a man named Wallace – an employee for a nuclear power company – shares his contentment to see the dump closed down with his girlfriend, Treasure. He admits, though, that he feels some guilt for playing a part in the disappearances.
Swamp Thing dreams of Blossomville, and is disturbed by the lack of life there. He sees that something awful has happened there; all around him are collapsed buildings, cinder covering the ground, and puddles reflecting continuously burning fire. He is relieved when he wakes in the swamp beside Abby, where the grass is still green. However, he cannot forget what he saw there.
Nearby, Swamp Thing happens to catch some workmen dumping toxic waste into a river. Meanwhile, Nukeface's companion is reduced to a blue, bubbling mess. Nukeface wanders to the same river, and realizes that waste has been dumped there. He is full of indignant despair, and when he encounters Swamp Thing, his touch kills the plant matter the creature is composed of. Swamp Thing collapses, and Nukeface decides to dump the remainder of the toxic waste in his flask into Swamp Thing's mouth, further injuring him.
- No special notes.
- The Blossomville mine fire to which Nukeface refers is based on the Centralia, Pennsylvania coal mine fire which began in 1962, ultimately resulted in the near-complete abandonment of the town, and is still burning to this day.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Swamp Thing Vol 2 35 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Swamp Thing series
- Images from Swamp Thing Vol 2 35
- Swamp Thing (Volume 1)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 2)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 3)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 4)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 5)
Links and References
- Swamp Thing at Wikipedia
- Swamp Thing at Sequart
- Swamp Thing at Toonopedia
- Swamp Thing at DCU Guide
- Swamp Thing Annotations
- Swamp Thing Database at Roots of the Swamp Thing
- Swamp Thing at TV Tropes
- Swamp Thing movie entry at the Internet Movie Databse (IMDB)
- Swamp Thing live-action television series at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
- Swamp Thing animated series at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)