Sylvester Pemberton was once the World War II hero known as the Star-Spangled Kid. In 1942, his sidekick, Stripesy and he joined the Seven Soldiers of Victory. The Seven Soldiers became lost in time on their last mission in October 1948, and were rescued by the Justice League of America and the Justice Society of America; the members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory who chose to do so were brought to the present day (originally a timeline jump of 20+ years).
Although he had previously been a non-powered hero, using fisticuffs, gadgets, and a keen strategical mind to fight crime, upon joining the JSA, Sylvester gained possession of the Cosmic Converter Belt designed by Starman. This belt gave him the ability to fly. He also was given use of Starman's cosmic rod on several occasions, but declined to take on the mantle of Starman himself.
As an adult, Sylvester founded the Los Angeles-based super-hero team, Infinity, Inc. Late in his career, he abandoned his Star-Spangled Kid persona and adopted the more adult identity of Skyman. Skyman shared in many adventures with Infinity, Inc., until the fateful day when Solomon Grundy used the insensate form of the poisonous Mister Bones to burn Sylvester's face, killing him.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 246 Appearances of Sylvester Pemberton (New Earth)
- 22 Images featuring Sylvester Pemberton (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Sylvester Pemberton (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Sylvester Pemberton (New Earth)
Justice Society of America member
|Seven Soldiers of Victory member|
This character is or was a member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, or the Seven Soldiers in any of its various incarnations, created during World War II and later, it returned to battle time-traveling, dimension-spanning mysteries and monsters.