Takeo Sato was born in a village that was near an active volcano. The volcano's fumes altered Takeo's body chemistry and, as he grew up, he learned he could absorb and project solar energy. Never yet realizing of his innate powers, Takeo became a actor, starring as a movie hero known as Sunburst. Once his powers manifested, Takeo was an instant celebrity. Initially, Takeo had no serious interest in becoming a superhero; however, his parents were kidnapped by criminals, who blackmailed him to commit crimes for them. Takeo's actions eventually crossed paths with Japan's premier superhero Rising Sun, who helped him in saving his parents.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In Pre-Crisis continuity, it was Superboy, not Rising Sun, who helped Sunburst save his parents.
- 7 Appearances of Takeo Sato (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Takeo Sato (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Takeo Sato (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Takeo Sato (New Earth)