Tannarak was a notorious alchemist, whose lifespan extends for centuries. He was born in England, but lived his childhood in Egypt. Certain day, he and his friend Dianna stole fruit from a stall and the fruit merchant caught and punished the boy, leaving him near a corpse. From that moment, Tannarak became obsessed with death and started a lifelong quest to prevent his own.
With this purpose in mind, Tannarak became a master of alchemy after he located the "Blood Stone" and the "Elixir of Death". He used these elements to take away the factor of aging from his body and trap it in a statue. For centuries, he sought a human host for the sould of her long dead friend Dianna and when he found a proper human body, he kidnapped the woman and attempted to remove her soul and resurrect his friend. He was stopped by the Phantom Stranger and during the struggle, Tannarak was apparently crushed under his own statue.
However, Tannarak survived the ordeal thanks to the intervention of some powerful beings known as the "Gods of Hate", who wanted Tannarak to act as their agent in the process of recruiting souls for their army of evil and eventually take over the world and start a new, hateful society. Tannarak's plan almost succeeded, but once again he was stopped by the Phantom Stranger and when the Gods of Hate abandoned him, Tannarak was apparently killed once again.
- Immortality: Tannarak is immortal and will not age beyond his current physical state.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 24 Appearances of Tannarak (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Tannarak (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Tannarak (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Tannarak (New Earth)