Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I am not leaving until the Daggers are destroyed. My husband seeks audience with them all.
- -- Katana src
Tatsu Yamashiro is Katana, a Japanese sword-wielding superhero who has been a member of the Suicide Squad, the Outsiders, the Justice League of America and the Birds of Prey. Her primary weapon is her sword, "Soultaker," which is said to capture the souls of anyone killed by it, including her husband.
Katana was asked by Black Canary to join the Birds of Prey. She was also recommended by Barbara Gordon together with Starling and Poison Ivy, who joined the team even though Katana wasn't very happy about it. The team found out that, on a train, three people had bombs in their heads. The four of them went on to the train and stop it, after learning that Black Canary also had a bomb in her head.
After the bombs were removed, they learned where the person who had been doing this was and, with the help of Batgirl, they broke into the building, only to get sent outside again with no memory of what happened and without Batgirl.
- Martial Arts: Tatsu was trained in various Japanese-styled martial arts from an early age, and is a master martial artist. She is able to combat multiple enemies, fight metahumans and adapt to situations with ease.
- Swordsmanship: Having been trained in the art of swordsmanship under various samurai sensei, Yamashiro is able to use her fabled sword "Soultaker" with expert proficiency. She is most skilled with katana.
- Soultaker Sword: The Soultaker, along with its non-powered twin, was forged in the 14th century by Muramasa, whose swords were said to be cursed and make those who were evil commit evil acts. It sometimes takes the souls of those it kills, storing them inside the sword, where they can engage in limited communication with whoever wields it.
- Katana (Tatsu Yamashiro) was created by Mike Barr and Jim Aparo, first appearing in Brave and the Bold Vol 1. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz's New 52 Birds of Prey series.
- Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth) appears as Katana (Prime) a playable character in the Infinite Crisis video game.
- 129 Appearances of Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
- 86 Images featuring Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
- 9 Quotations by or about Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
Birds of Prey member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
|Outsiders member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its various incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League cannot, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by public relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Outsiders members" category.
Suicide Squad member