"Devil May Care": Kid Devil hangs out in front of the mystical doorway leading to the Oblivion Bar, waiting for someone with proper access, so he can piggyback inside. He finds Witchfire entering the bar, and sneaks in behind her. Landing inside, he falls on
- The world up above won't let your dreams come true, because the world up above isn't nice to people like you and me. But I can change you into everything you've ever wanted... if you're willing to make a deal.
- -- Neron
Appearing in "Devil May Care"
- Teen Titans
- Andrew Bennett
- Argent (Cameo)
- Captain Marvel, Jr.
- Eddie Deacon
- Harlequin (Duela Dent) (Cameo)
- Molecule (Cameo)
- Jennifer Morgan
- Kid Crusader (Cameo) (First appearance)
- Pulsar (Cameo)
- Sebastian Faust
- Valda, the Iron Maiden
- Young Frankenstein (Cameo)
- Metropolis (Flashback only)
- Oblivion Bar
- Zandia (Flashback only)
- Candle of Neron
- Green Bell of Uthool
- Red Jar of Calythos
- Silver Wheel of Nyorlath
- Superboy Memorial Statue
- Trident of Lucifer
Synopsis for "Devil May Care"
Kid Devil hangs out in front of the mystical doorway leading to the Oblivion Bar, waiting for someone with proper access, so he can piggyback inside. He finds Witchfire entering the bar, and sneaks in behind her. Landing inside, he falls on his rump and sheepishly asks owner/bartender Eddie Deacon for a beer. Eddie chides Kid Devil, citing that he’s not even twenty-one, and Eddie soon leaves. Kid Devil reflects on his own history, particularly the events that brought him into contact with his boyhood hero, Blue Devil. He recalls the day that he was first introduced to stuntman Daniel Cassidy – the man who would be working on the set for the Blue Devil feature film.
Eddie was present when Cassidy was first trapped inside the Blue Devil costume, as well as his first epic battle with the demon, Nebiros. Cassidy used his costume to drive the demon back, but not before being blasted with mystical energy. After the fight, Cassidy found that the blast had permanently grafted the Blue Devil costume to his body. Eddie Bloomberg eventually built his own costume based on Blue Devil's designs and began calling himself Kid Devil. After Eddie's Aunt Marla died in a helicopter crash, Eddie attempted to live up to her name and succeed in the movie business. His attempts failed, however, and Eddie continued to have adventures as Kid Devil.
Less than a year ago, Eddie was trying to locate Daniel Cassidy. He wanted to gain super powers just like his hero, and was ready to tackle any obstacle to achieve his goals. He met one of Daniel’s old friends, Sebastian Faust, who told him that Danny left on a search to find the Red Jar of Calythos. Eddie's search brought him to Metropolis, where he encountered several young neophyte heroes who had taken part in Lex Luthor's Everyman Project. Eddie hoped to enlist in the Project, but was rejected following a psychological evaluation. Shortly thereafter, Eddie encountered a mysterious being who offered him a mystic candle. Unsure of what to do with it, Eddie consulted with the teen-magician known as Zachary Zatara. He lit the candle before Zachary and was instantly transported to an Underworld realm in Hell. Neron made Eddie Bloomberg an offer. He offered to grant Eddie the power that he desired, but if for any reason the trust between Daniel Cassidy and himself were ever broken, then Eddie would have to become Neron's protégé following his twentieth birthday. Eddie agreed, and Neron transformed him into a true demon. Moments later, Neron revealed that Blue Devil was secretly responsible for the death of Eddie’s aunt, Marla Bloom.
Kid Devil returned to Earth and found his old mentor. He asked him about the death of Marla Bloom, and Blue Devil revealed that he was in fact responsible (albeit accidentally) for her death. Knowing that the trust between them was shattered, Kid Devil fled in horror, fearful that before long, his soul would belong to Neron.
After reflecting on the recent path at great length, Kid Devil returns to Titans Tower. He walks inside and smiles, as if everything is perfectly fine.
Elsewhere, Neron laughs to himself as he plays with a glowing sphere containing the soul of Marla Bloom.
- This issue is reprinted in the Teen Titans: Titans East trade paperback.
- Kid Devil made his first appearance as Eddie Bloomberg in Blue Devil #1. He became the costumed hero, Kid Devil, for the first time in Blue Devil #14. Kid Devil made his first appearance in his current form in Teen Titans (Volume 3) #34.
- In this issue, Blue Devil makes reference to his brother, Jack of Fire, a member of the Pentacle and sworn foe of the Shadowpact.
- This issue shows a picture of the original Blue Devil movie script. The screenplay is written by Gary Cohn and Dan Mishkin, the creators of the Blue Devil comic book series.
- A small picture of the Demons Three can be found on a page from one of Sebastian Faust's books.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Teen Titans Vol 3 42 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Teen Titans series
- Images from Teen Titans Vol 3 42
Links and References
- Teen Titans (Volume 3) index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Teen Titans article at Wikipedia
- Teen Titans (animated series) index at TV.com
- Titans Tower