Joshua Clay was born in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, New York, the youngest of five children. His parents struggled to keep their family together in the middle of what was at that time one of the worst slums in the country. At sixteen, Clay joined a street gang called the Stompers, and eventually, as a result, wound up being given a choice between prison and service in the United States Military. Clay chose the army and was trained as a combat medic and shipped off to combat.
Less than a month before the end of his tour, Clay witnessed the attempted massacre of an entire village of non-combatants by his sergeant. Horrified, Clay unconsciously triggered his powers, blasting the noncom, apparently killing the man. The stress of this discovery led Clay to go AWOL and fled the country, eventually returning to the U.S. Clay spent the next ten years living as a fugitive. The sergeant eventually becomes Reactron, a repeated foe of the Doom Patrol.
Arani Caulder tracks down Clay and enlists him as a member of the new Doom Patrol. Clay stays active within this incarnation of the Doom Patrol for a year before it disbands due to internal dissent. Swearing off superheroics, Clay uses his underworld connections secure a new identity for himself as Jonathan Carmichael, M.D. Due to years of private study and his previous military training, he easily passes his New York medical board examination. As Carmichael, using funds borrowed from a local loan shark, he purchases a small Park Avenue medical practice and lives a quiet, respectable life treating rich hypochondriacs. Robotman tracks Clay down. Due to Steele's threat to reveal Clay's true identity to the medical board, he reluctantly returns to superheroics. He again retired from active service to become the team's physician.
Clay remained with the Doom Patrol after the return of its original leader, Niles Caulder, but became increasingly concerned by Caulder's attitude and actions. In fact, unknown to the Patrol, Caulder was insane and plotting to gain power for himself. Wrongly convinced that Clay was a danger to his plans, Caulder eventually shot him dead.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Kinetic Energy Projection: Clay can generate and radiate powerful blasts from his hands which are able to melt steel. Tempest can control his blasts' volume and intensity to the extent that he can ignite the head of a match from twenty feet away.
- Flight: Properly focused and controlled, his energies allow Tempest to propel himself through the air at 90 miles per hour.
- Military Protocol: Trained as a combat medic by the U.S. Army.
- Medicine: He becomes a licensed physician before becoming a superhero.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): With both his military training and experience he's learned to fight well enough to keep toe-to-toe with most minor thugs and criminals.
- Two years after Clay's death, a man named Martin Ellis, who looks like the Steve Lightle rendition of Clay, wakes from a seven year coma with an active metagene. In combat with Captain Atom, Ellis exhibits the same powers as Clay. Ellis reunites with his wife Yvonne at the end of the story. This was his only appearance.
- 78 Appearances of Joshua Clay (New Earth)
- 12 Images featuring Joshua Clay (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Joshua Clay (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Joshua Clay (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Joshua Clay. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with DC Database, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
Doom Patrol member