Doctor Terrence Thirteen was an occult investigator whose primary function was to debunk rumors of supernatural activity. This earned him a reputation as a "ghost breaker." He frequently worked alongside the Phantom Stranger, but never believed that the phantom was anything more than an illusionist con-man. Dr. Thirteen was married to a woman named Marie Leeds, who frequently assisted him in his investigations. He once gave John Constantine and Tim Hunter a ride to San Francisco though he was aware of neither of their identities.
On certain occasion, Thirteen was summoned to Gotham City as the Gotham City Police Department needed and expert in paranormal activity to investigate the supposed "Ghost of Wayne Manor". Thirteen agreed, but on his search for unusual activity, he stumbled upon the Batcave, where Batman and Man-Bat were fighting. Thirteen was injured during the struggle and he was later taken to the Gotham Hospital, with no recollection of the events.
Thirteen was later hired by Rupert Thorne to free him from the ghost of Hugo Strange and during his investigation, Thirteen came across the spirit only to find that it was all an elaborate hoax. After clearing the nonexistent mystery, Thirteen moved out from the case without accepting Thorne's dirty money.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 81 Appearances of Terrence Thirteen (New Earth)
- 9 Images featuring Terrence Thirteen (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Terrence Thirteen (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Terrence Thirteen (New Earth)