Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
This project page needs to be cleaned up.
This article needs maintenance and organization, as it may have become cluttered or confusing. Its heart is in a good place, it's just a little special. Won't you please help out an article in need? This template will categorize articles that include it into the Clean Up task category.
Thaal Sinestro of Korugar is the arch-nemesis of Green Lantern. At one point the greatest member of the Green Lantern Corps, he was corrupted by his power and exiled for crimes against his own people. He now seeks to impose his own order and control onto the universe, employing a yellow power ring to combat the green he has grown to despise. His prowess and ruthlessness have made him one of the most feared villains in existence, and eventually he establishes his own Sinestro Corps.
Thaal Sinestro was born on the distant world of Korugar, when he was an adult he became an archaeologist as he was obsessed with the past. One day while on an archaeological dig Sinestro witnessed a space craft crash land near his dig site. Sinestro approached the spacecraft and discovered a mortally wounded alien inside. This alien was wearing a strange ring, which he offered up to Sinestro so he could battle the man that had injured him. At that moment the enemy arrived- a Weaponer of Qward. The Weaponers were a race of aliens from the Antimatter Universe whose culture was focused on war. Sinestro picked up the ring and slipped it on his finger, which instantly transformed Sinestro's clothes into a green suit. Sinestro soon figured out that the ring created whatever he desired as long as he had the will to power it. With this knowledge Sinestro quickly destroyed the Weaponer. When the alien asked for its ring back to he could receive medical attention, Sinestro refused and left the alien to die.
With this new power in his hands Sinestro decided that instead of digging up the past he would instead strive to build for the future. Eventually he was contacted by Abin Sur, another wielder of the green ring. Abin revealed to Sinestro that the ring was worn by all members of the Green Lantern Corps, a intergalactic police force tasked with ridding evil from the universe. Abin brought Sinestro to Oa, the home world of the Green Lantern Corps, to meet the Guardians of the Universe. The Guardians were the creators and leaders of the GLC, and they demanded Sinestro swear the Green Lantern Oath before being accepted into the Corps. Sinestro conceded and was inducted into the Corps, officially becoming a Green Lantern. He was tasked with keeping Sector 1417, which Korugar was situated in, safe from threats.
Sinestro soon became the greatest of the Green Lanterns, often fighting alongside his partner and friend Abin Sur. One day Abin took Sinestro to see his home planet, Ungara, where he met Abin's family. Sinestro soon became infatuated with Abin's sister Arin, and the pair quickly fell deeply in love. Eventually Abin and Sinestro wed, and Sinestro moved back to his home planet with his new bride. While on his home planet he realized that if he stretched his willpower to the limit he could make his world a paradise, an example of what a Green Lantern could really do. He began monitoring communications, populations and heartbeats so that nothing on his home planet would happen without his knowledge. He also created robots out of his willpower to patrol the bustling city of Korugar. Within a few years Sinestro controlled the whole planet, and was eventually named dictator for life.
Sinestro soon had a baby daughter with Arin which they named Soranik. However after threats to the baby were made by disgruntled civilians, Arin gave the baby up for adoption. Sinestro began passing his teachings and philosophies to the new recruits of the Lantern Corps. Arin would begin to resent her husband for what he was doing to his people. Eventually Abin Sur died on a mission and his replacement from Earth named Hal Jordan became Sinestro's new partner. In the same way he did with Abin, Sinestro found a quick friend in Jordan. When Sinestro brought Jordan to his home world, the new Lantern was appalled by what Sinestro was doing to his people.
With the arrival of a new Lantern on their side, the people of Korugar became restless and began rebelling against their overlord. Sinestro was stricken by grief when Arin was killed by a child suicide bomber after his head. Hal Jordan soon reported Sinestro's misconduct to the Guardians of the Universe, causing Sinestro to be stripped of his ring and banished to the Anti-Matter Universe. Other Green Lanterns who believed in Sinestro followed him into the Anti-Matter Universe. Sinestro made a pact with the Weaponers of Qward, who supplied him with a new ring. This ring would channel the yellow light of fear, making Sinestro the first Yellow Lantern. His followers in the Green Lantern Corps would also wield these rings as they became the first members of the Sinestro Corps, wielders of the yellow light.
Returning to Korugar after the Guardians decide to leave him with the ring, Sinestro learns that his Corps have reverted to their brutal methods, terrorising and slaughtering the people of Korugar rather than ruling it. Sinestro creates a new Green Lantern ring for Hal Jordan, albeit one that he can shut off at will, so that Jordan can help him retake control of the Sinestro Corps, who now want him dead in the belief that his killer will become the new Sinestro Corps leader. After turning various Korugarian prisoners into a temporary Green Lantern Corps using short-lived duplicates of Sinestro's ring, Sinestro and Hal are able to hold off the Sinestro Corps long enough to drain the power away from the Central Power Battery of the Sinestro Corps, de-powering all of the Corps members on Korugar, although those more distant from the battery will still have access to their own power supplies. Later, all Lanterns' rings register that the Sinestro Corps have disbanded with 98% of all known Corpsmen dead or incarcerated, requiring Arkillo, who was cut off from the other Corps in the Orrery with the New Guardians during this attack, to use a new, independent power battery forged by the Weaponer from the fear of the Korugarians. It has since been revealed that the Guardians were responsible for Sinestro acquiring a Green Lantern ring in an attempt to undermine the Sinestro Corps as part of their future plans to destroy all seven Corps. During the conclusion of the "Wrath of the First Lantern" storyline, Sinestro once again becomes a member of the Sinestro Corps after the destruction of Korugar at the hands of Volthoom, and after bonding with Parallax, he reactivates the yellow rings and releases all the Sinestro Corps members who were incarcerated on Oa. Afterwards, he killed every one of the Guardians of the Universe but Sayd and Ganthet, exiling them from Oa instead, and left all of the corps' behind, nothing involving them having any meaning to him any longer with Korugar destroyed.
Sinestro is revealed to be among the villains split on the idea of how to handle Earth. He is said to have a good relationship with Black Adam. He returns to Earth due to the powerful use of a Qwardian Power Ring by Batman against Power Ring. He later tells Batman that he left himself vulnerable by resisting the bond with the ring, and destroyed Power Ring. Sinestro also mentioned that Batman would make a fine Sinestro Corpsman, vaguely hinting at Batman's experience with the yellow ring of fear in the past.
Sinestro's corps is attacked by the New gods and he declares war on them in retaliation.
- Fear Attunement: Sinestro has an innate understanding of the fears of others, even without access to his ring. He also seems to have some form of mental link with his corps members which possibly is attributed to his understanding of others fears as well.
- Indomitable Will: According to Ion, the living embodiment of willpower, Sinestro has the single most indomitable will in all of creation.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Genius Level Intellect
- Ultraviolet Power Battery
- Green Lantern Power Battery (Formerly)
- Qwardian Power Battery (Formerly)
- Indigo Tribe Staff (Formerly)
- Ultraviolet Power Ring: The Ultraviolet Power Ring awards Sinestro a lot of the powers afforded by a majority of power rings, however the abilities of the Ultraviolet ring are a lot more powerful. The ring itself is invisible and appears as the sigil of Umbrax on Sinestro's ring finger. The light also doesn't change Sinestro's clothes like many rings do.
- Empathy: The ultraviolet ring allows Sinestro to read the emotions of a person's mind. He is able to picture what causes these emotions and how they can be used against whomever he is facing.
- Energy Construct Creation: In a nature similar to many other lantern rings, Sinestro's ring is able to make hard-light constructs. In tandem with the empathy the ring provides, Sinestro is able to create constructs out of the darkest thoughts of a person's mind.
- Force Field: Sinestro is able to create force fields to repel incoming damage. These force fields can take many shapes, such as an energy bubble or a road barricade. Sinestro's force fields were durable enough to stop the Flash's racer in its tracks, which could travel at speeds greater then light.
- Energy Projection: Using his ring Sinestro is able to project potent blasts of ultraviolet energy. During his fight with Cyborg and Green Lantern, Sinestro fired an energy blast that was able to overpower the combined blasts of the two heroes with ease.
- Flight: Sinestro is able to levitate and full on fly while wielding the ring. He does this by creating a coating of invisible lighting around himself that he moves to make himself move.
- Ultraviolet Lantern Control: Sinestro is able to control the actions of everyone who is infected by the Ultraviolet light. There appears to be no limit to the amount of people he can control as he was once able to control the entire population of multiple planets including Earth with ease.
- Universal Translator: In a way similar to a majority of lantern rings, the ultraviolet power ring translates every known language in the universe. The translation allows Sinestro to understand everybody and everybody to understand Sinestro.
- Green Lantern Ring (Formerly)
- Qwardian Power Ring (Formerly)
- Indigo Power Ring (Formerly)
- White Lantern Ring (Formerly)
"By shield of day, and shield of night,
we feed and grow, beyond all sight,
your darkest self shall be our knight,
wield the sword of unseen light!"
- Thaal Sinestro was created by John Broome and Gil Kane, first appearing in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #7. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Thaal Sinestro first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Green Lantern (Volume 5) #1 by Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke.
- 114 Appearances of Thaal Sinestro (Prime Earth)
- 79 Images featuring Thaal Sinestro (Prime Earth)
- 16 Quotations by or about Thaal Sinestro (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Thaal Sinestro (Prime Earth)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Green Lantern (Volume 5) #23.4
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #1
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #2
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #4
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #5
- ↑ Green Lantern: New Guardians #8
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #12
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #19
- ↑ Green Lantern (Volume 5) #20
- ↑ Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns #1
- ↑ Green Lantern: New Guardians #24
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Justice League (Volume 4) #4
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Justice League (Volume 4) #7
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Justice League (Volume 4) #2
- ↑ Justice League (Volume 4) #6
|Green Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Green Lantern Corps, chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to act as their sector's Green Lantern and to protect it from interstellar threats with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Green Lantern Corps members category."
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."
|Indigo Tribe member|
This character is or was a member of the Indigo Tribe. These are individuals who show an incredible capacity for compassion, and were given Power Rings
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Indigo Tribe members category."
Legion of Doom member