Thar-El was an ancient native to the planet, Krypton and a respected member of the House of El. His father was the noted mathematician Shu-El and his sister was a Kandorian legislator named Fedra. While Thar-El's personal life may not have been as glamorous as the rest of the family, he dedicated himself to a career as a professional jurist and aided in reforming the Kryptonian justice system. Thar-El eventually married and sired a male child named Plen-El. Plen-El continued the family bloodline ultimately leading to the birth of Krypton's last male heir, Kal-El. Thar-El passed away some years prior to the destruction of Krypton. A statue of him was erected in the House of El memorial hall at New Kandor on the planet Rokyn.
- This version of Thar-El (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Thar-El (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Thar-El (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Thar-El (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Thar-El (Earth-One)