Ted was a former student of Dan Garrett, and when they were investigating Ted's uncle Jarvis Kord, they learned Jarvis was working to create an army of androids to take over Earth. Garrett changed into Blue Beetle, but was killed in the battle. As he died, he passed on the responsibility of being Blue Beetle to Ted, but wasn't able to pass on the mystical scarab. Ted devised technological ways of fighting crime with a special flash gun, acrobatic fighting style and a large scarab shaped aircraft known as The Bug. He became an accomplished superhero and occasionally teamed up with The Question. During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Ted was recruited by the Monitor to help fight the Anti-Monitor's shadow-demons. Ted discovered that Dan's scarab was able to utterly destroy the shadow-demons, but was sent back when the Monitor found the scarab couldn't be used as he wished.
This section of the history takes place during Convergence, a massive crossover event revisiting characters from past eras and realities. The villains Brainiac and Telos plucked them from their own timeline and stored them together, causing them to cross over into each others' reality. Its precise chronological placement and canonicity may be unclear.
Before he and his world were erased by the crisis on infinite earths, he and his city are taken by Brainiac and Telos. Ted makes many attempts to breakdown the dome but fails. Due to the appearance of an outside individual, his friend, Captain Atom's powers return. After the individual leaves, Ted saves Atom from falling to his death. After the domes goes down, he Question and Captain Atom fight against the Post Zero Hour Legion of Super Heroes. Knowing they can't win, Ted instead brokers a deal to create a hologram of a destroyed Hub City to fool Telos.
- Blue Beetle's Bug: Blue Beetle's airship, the Bug, contained high tech equipment, could electrify or magnetize its hull, fire electrical energy and could fly at 600 mph. All models had booster jets hidden under the shell of the Bug. The boosters on the first two models could speed the Bug up to the speed of sound for a short period of time, no time limit was ever given for how long the burst lasted. Later models the boosters where used for intercontinental travel at supersonic speed. It was also 90% solar powered. Later models also had energy weapons of various types from lasers to plasma. The last two models were capable of being able to reach orbit. All models were remote controllable from controls built into Kord's gloves.
- Blue Beetle's Gun: His BB gun was a handheld weapon that could blind villains with a flash of light, or knock them out with a compressed air blast capable of felling a charging rhino. The original BB gun was designed with a security feature, so that it would function only when the Blue Beetle held it, becoming inactive without contact with special circuitry in the Beetle costume's gloves.
- This version of Blue Beetle, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 48 Appearances of Theodore Kord (Earth-Four)
- 9 Images featuring Theodore Kord (Earth-Four)
- Quotations by or about Theodore Kord (Earth-Four)
- Character Gallery: Theodore Kord (Earth-Four)