Tom Corbet, alias the mystical Neon the Unknown was one of the most powerful heroes battling in World War II. He was a member of the French Foreign Legion stationed in Africa. While pursuing an enemy across the desert, his entire unit became lost and died of dehydration. Surely he would have suffered the same fate, if he hadn't found a magical oasis at the very last second. Corbet drank the glowing water and was transformed into Neon the Unknown, with the ability to fly and shoot energy from his hands.
On December 7, 1941, Neon was recruited by Uncle Sam to be a member of the Freedom Fighters, along with several other heroes, and defend Pearl Harbor from the Japanese attack. Uncle Sam, Miss America, Hourman, Invisible Hood, Magno, Red Torpedo, and Neon the Unknown fought valiantly and all but Uncle Sam were thought to have died. Since then, all of the heroes who "died" in the attack have been revealed as alive, except for Magno. 
By the modern day, Neon has been living at his magical oasis and becomes detached from humanity. He was not helpful when asked by Lanford Terrill to aid in saving his son, Raymond. This leads to Terrill drinking the water himself and becoming the new "Neon". 
- Neonic Physiology: Neon drank the mystical waters, of a magical oasis that saved his life, and became Neon the Unknown giving him blue skin and a vein-like appearance.
- Neonic Beams: Neon could project neonic force from his hands and body in the form of powerful beams. True to his name, this neon energy could blind foes, disorient machines and disintegrate solid matter.
- Neonic Flight: Neon is very light allowing himself to float or hover while immobile but bursting with neonic energy he can take off at speeds rivaling airplanes.
- Neonic Energy: Neon has many applications of his energy but when pressed he assumes a "neonic" shape and becomes pure intangible energy. Unable to move or speak, he becomes intangible.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- In the pre-Crisis timeline, Neon died helping Uncle Sam fight the Japanese on Earth-X (as shown in All-Star Squadron #32). In the post-Crisis reality, that battle did not happen. It was replaced by the pre-Pearl Harbor battle shown in Secret Origins (Volume 2) #26, which he did survive (barely).
- 8 Appearances of Thomas Corbett (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Thomas Corbett (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Thomas Corbett (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Thomas Corbett (New Earth)
|Freedom Fighters member |
This character is or was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a team of American super-heroes who fight threats to the nation and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Freedom Fighters members" category.