Tobias 'Toby' Manning was born in the American West in 1878, the son of outlaw Jess Manning, who intended to raise Toby as a desperado like himself.
When Toby was ten, and had just carried out his first solo hold up while his father recuperated from a bullet wound, an alien called the Collector arrived and attempted to steal the loot, a box of gold coins. Jess Manning fired on the creature, which retaliated by blasting him with a solar ray. Learning of the fatally wounded Manning's plans for his son via a telepathic link, the Collector decided to raise the boy himself in the way his father would have wanted.
He wiped Toby's memory of his father's death, then took him into space, surgically altering him to be able to survive in almost any environment and teaching him to handle a variety of futuristic weapons, which Toby adapted into the forms of the 19th Century Earth weapons he was used to. The Collector also gave Toby an Argivian winged horse named Nova, which became his steed.
Toby, now calling himself Terra-Man after his planet of origin, traveled with the Collector for years, stealing for him as he had for his real father, but eventually his memories returned and he murdered the Collector to avenge his father. Terra-Man returned to earth, only to discover that traveling at faster than light speeds had retarded his aging and that over a century had passed on the planet of his birth while he himself was still a comparatively young man. Still patterning himself on an old West outlaw, he continued his criminal career on Earth, continually clashing with Superman (Kal-El (Earth-One)) and also on one occasion with the Blue Devil.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Altered Physiology: Toby's physiology has been altered past that of a normal human being. This doesn't afford him superhuman abilities but further enhances his original body's functions. His body was also enhanced by chemicals and alien hardware.
- Nova: Arguvian Space Steed.
- Six Shooters: Six Shooters modified to fire tracer bullets and other specialized applications; alien, energy leaching tumbleweed and energy lasso.
- This version of Tobias Manning (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series and is now considered apocryphal.
- This version of Terra-Man appears to have ceased to exist after the Crisis on Infinite Earths. There was a second on the newly created composite earth, however (see Tobias Manning (New Earth)
- 15 Appearances of Tobias Manning (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Tobias Manning (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Tobias Manning (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Tobias Manning (Earth-One)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."