|Real Name||Winslow Percival Schott|
|Relatives||Anton Schott (son)|
|Affiliation||Secret Society; Injustice League; Superman Revenge Squad; Intergang|
|Base Of Operations||Metropolis|
|Universe||Earth-Two, New Earth|
|Place of Birth||United Kingdom|
|Creators||Don Cameron, Ed Dobrotka|
- We can play this two ways. I can kill you right now and restore dignity to the Toyman name -- or you and I can team up -- combine forces -- to become the greatest crime-duo the world has ever known. What do you want to be, punk? A corpse or a partner?
- -- Winslow Schott src
Winslow Percival Schott, alias Toyman was born in Britain. The child genius invented his first toy at a young age, a toy airplane painted red and blue. Another boy, out of jealousy of Winslow's fantastic home-made toys, stole his airplane. This act had a profound affect on Schott. When he grew up, Winslow created some of the most amazing toys ever conceived, which earned him world acclaim. However, LexCorp’s acquisition of Schotts toy company left him jobless, and he was embittered by the company's use of his toys for military purposes. He became the supervillain Toyman, seeking revenge on Lex Luthor. After several attempts to assassinate Luthor and fights with Superman, he was arrested. Toyman was later sprung from prison and used by Intergang to help them build some deadly traps at their lair.
After escaping prison and changing his image (prompted by a voice in his head, which he identified as the voice of his mother), Toyman abducted several children in Metropolis, including Adam Grant, the son of Cat Grant. When Adam tried to free the others, Toyman murdered them all and dumped their bodies in an alley in Suicide Slum. Superman caught him and brought him in. While he was in prison, Cat Grant thought about killing him but ultimately decided not to.
Months after her son's death, Cat decided to visit Schott in prison and discover why he had turned into a killer. Toyman explained that it was entirely the children's fault. After being arrested for helping Intergang, Toyman had been approached by a toy manufacturer, who made Superman-based toys, for permission to use Toyman's image as a toy. Schott would not receive any royalties, but he agreed nonetheless, ecstatic at the thought of being made into an actual toy. For the better part of a year, Schott then tried to get a hold of the toy manufacturer, hoping that at the very least he would get a copy of the toy. No response came. Eventually, Schott was allowed to be part of a prisoner work program, mopping floors at a local mall after dark. Coming to one of the toy stores, he found his toy in among the many other Superman toys--but not one of them had been sold, despite having been marked down to dirt cheap prices. Schott snapped, and after strangling his guard, escaped and tracked down the toy manufacturer, demanding an explanation. The toymaker explained that the children simply did not want him, having no desire to play with a toy that looked like a clown instead of a serial killer. After murdering the man, Schott began to hear the voice of his "mother" and decided to make children pay.
Superman Revenge Squad
Toyman briefly joined forces with the Cyborg Superman. Together, they were able to split Superman into two beings: Superman Blue and Superman Red. Much later, Superman decided to try and rehabilitate the Toyman, getting him into a program where he made toys for poor children.
"Death" of Toyman
In a vain attempt to help him, Zatanna had visited Toyman in prison around altering his mind with a spell in an attempt to heal him of his delusions. She was unsuccessful, instead making him worse. He later kidnapped several more children, but in his mind he saw it as them happily coming to stay with him. Zatanna used her magic again, dispelling the illusion and making it all clear to Schott. Unfortunately, his robot "toys" had already weakened the building they were in by fighting Superman so the whole building collapsed. Schott was apparently killed, but no body was found.
Schott has since resurfaced, where he abducted Jimmy Olsen telling him to write that he never killed any children and that that had been the action of robot duplicates he created of himself to take his place in jail if he was arrested. He claimed to have once had a wife, which was the one detail of his story that didn't match up. It was later revealed that his "wife" was in fact another robot.
- Delusions: Prior to having Zatanna foul up his mind, Schott had already begun hearing his mother's voice while he was in jail. Whether he developed a disorder or had a genetic one is unknown.
- Various Toys: Life sized toys which impersonated various people or did his bidding, high tech plastic lab equipment and toys that are just toys for amusement.
- Various Toys: The Toyman has employed a wide array of vehicles to aid him in his criminal endeavors, all of which are patterned after a toy of some kind. Such vehicles include everything from toy trains to pogo-sticks.
- Various Toys: Acid spraying squirt guns, toy soldiers with live rounds, toy airplanes with machine guns, wind up tanks with miniaturized shells, exploding balls, acid gum, etc.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The Toyman was created by writer Don Cameron and developed further in the modern age by John Byrne and Jerry Ordway.
- Height and weight from Superman: The Man of Steel Sourcebook.
- Toyman is also known as Toy Maker.
- 80 Appearances of Winslow Schott (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Winslow Schott (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Winslow Schott (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Winslow Schott (New Earth)
- Toyman at dccomics.com
- Toyman at Wikipedia.org
- Toyman biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."