Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"In the Beginning": In the Batcave, Batman opens a package that came in his mail and finds within it the shredded remains of the "Bat-Man" costume worn by his father, Thomas Wayne, to the party that ended in his encounter with gangster
Appearing in "In the Beginning"
- Batman (Origin)
- Joe Chill
- Lew Moxon
- Black Spider (Flashback only)
- Catwoman (Flashback only)
- Killer Moth (Flashback only)
- Mirror Man (Flashback only)
- Crazy Quilt (Flashback only)
- Clayface III (Flashback only)
- Penguin (Flashback only)
- Joker (Cameo)
Synopsis for "In the Beginning"
In the Batcave, Batman opens a package that came in his mail and finds within it the shredded remains of the "Bat-Man" costume worn by his father, Thomas Wayne, to the party that ended in his encounter with gangster Lew Moxon. Batman rushes to the display case where the costume had hung and finds only a note taped to the inside of the glass. It reads: THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING, BATMAN! BEFORE I'M DONE, I WILL DESTROY YOU! Grimly, Batman recalls to Alfred and to himself the night that his father went to the costume party dressed as a "Bat-Man", was abducted by thugs to treat the wounded Lew Moxon, and wound up capturing them all. He goes on to remember Moxon's emergence from jail ten years later, and, soon after, the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne by Joe Chill; Bruce Wayne's determination to fight crime and bring his parents' killer to justice; his becoming the first "Robin" and teaming up with detective Harvey Harris; his attending Gotham College, where he learned the difference between law and justice from Professor Amos Rexford; the bat that flew in through the open window of Wayne Manor and inspired him to become the Batman; the many battles he and Robin waged against an army of criminals; and the deaths of Joe Chill and Lew Moxon. Batman learns little from analyzing the shredded costume. He heads out on patrol of Gotham City in the Batmobile, on a mission of vengeance.
- This book was first published on April 24, 1980.
- This series was also published as a 6x9 mini-comic. These comic books came packaged with an audio cassette in a hard, see-through plastic case by Shan-Lon Enterprises. The cassette contained a narration of the story. The comics were very similar to the original except they were a bit smaller and had the Shan-Lon/MPI logo on the bottom of the cover.
- None of the villains featured on the cover appear in this issue.
- This issue expands on events originally chronicled in Detective Comics #226.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Untold Legend of the Batman Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Untold Legend of the Batman series
- Images from Untold Legend of the Batman Vol 1 1
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes