Although seemingly unremarkable in appearance, the utility belt remains as one of Batman's most important tools in fighting crime. Composed of a leather strap and a solid steel buckle, the utility belt houses ten cylinder cartridges, which vertically clip onto the outside
Although seemingly unremarkable in appearance, the utility belt remains as one of Batman's most important tools in fighting crime. Composed of a leather strap and a solid steel buckle, the utility belt houses ten cylinder cartridges, which vertically clip onto the outside of the belt. The buckle itself contains a miniature camera and two-way radio. A secondary compartment behind the length of the belt houses Batman's supply of collapsible batarangs.
Each of the ten cylinders contains various tools integral to Batman's war on crime. Through the years, Batman has modified, updated and improved the contents of his utility belt to accommodate various needs. The following list is a sample of some of the items that can regularly be found in the utility belt, but does not represent the complete definitive arsenal of Batman's equipment.
When Gotham was declared No Man's Land, Batman adopted a bulkier and more practical version of his utility belt: a workman's tool-belt. This enabled him to carry additional weapons and supplies necessary to operate and survive in earthquake-ruined Gotham City.
Batman included a surgical and first aid kit on his utility belt in case he needed to perform surgery or has been seriously wounded. The kit contained a scalpel, alcohol, forceps, scissors and gauzes.
A new feature present on the last models of the belt was a communicator button installed in both Batman and Robin's belt. It was primarily used as a way to summon Robin to Batman's location.
- Infrared flashlight
- Smoke capsules
- Fingerprint analysis kit
- Forensic analysis kit
- First aid kit
- Lockpicking tools
- Kryptonite Ring
- Tear gas pellets
- Micro-processor power source
- Micro-recorder (updated regularly)
- Batline spool + grappling gun
- Miniature Laser torch
- Bat-shaped handcuffs
- Various incendiary capsules (including plastique and thermite)
- Rebreather and gas mask
- Cryo capsule
- Toxin illusion of death
- Mini explosives
- Light Grenades
- Anti fire foam
- Grenades iron filings
- Silver nitrate
- Ultrasonic transmitter (to attract bats)
- Small Mobile Device (Connected to the Batcomputer)
- Taser gun
- Basic solution to Neutralize Acids 
- This version of the utility belt was designed as a thin but firm strip with several hidden pockets and buttons, used by Batman to carry evidence or gadgets. Besides the most common gadgets, he also carried caltrops, forceps, plastic bags, infrared goggles, gas mask and a pocket camera. The belt was also used as a remote command for the batboat. The security system of this version of the belt included a paint sprayer that was activated when someone tried to open it by force.
- The original version of Batman started out wearing a standard leather belt with a round buckle; the primary function of which, amounted to little more than to secure the bat-trousers. In his second appearance, Batman exchanged the round belt buckle for a square one.
- Presumably the utility belt also contains a compartment for Batman's wallet and the keys to the Batmobile, but this is not regularly addressed within storylines.