Val-Mer was a young boy who lived on the planet Krypton. He was the son of Koll-Mer. Koll-Mer once took Val-Mer to the Striped River to go groskin (the Kryptonian equivalent of fishing) whereupon he discovered a strange, glowing yellow rock. Taking it back to his home in Erkol, Val and Koll learned that the rock was a source of tremendous energy. They showed it to the Kryptonian Science Council who then placed it atop the highest tower in the city-state. The glowing rock lighted all of Erkol by night, but by day it proved to extremely dangerous as it began absorbing all of the solar radiation from plant and wildlife. Two thieves named Ta-Tem and Bar-Nes from Bokos learned of the rock and attempted to steal it. Val-Mer interfered with their plan by grabbing the rock, stealing the thieves' flyer and returning it to its place of origin where he fed it to a metal-eater.
- This version of Val-Mer (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Val-Mer (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Val-Mer (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Val-Mer (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Val-Mer (Earth-One)