On Krypton, Vala specialized in cybernetic engineering. Along with at least two other Kandorians, she experimented on humans in an attempt to discover how to get their powers back. One of these humans was Doctor Bernard Chisholm, whom the Kandorians brought back to life.
Clark Kent had Chloe Sullivan set Vala up with a fake identity and passport, which she was able to use to get a job at a bookstore in Metropolis. Late one night, before going to meet Faora, she was kidnapped by Doctor Chisholm. He imprisoned and began cryogenically freezing her so that he could expose her, along with his other evidence, to the world as an alien. She was saved by Clark, Lois Lane, and Major Zod.
She was one of the Kandorians later abandoned by Zod. When Checkmate found them, she and the soldiers she was with were to be executed. She was again saved by Clark. After Faora's death, Vala re-joined Zod at the Fortress of Solitude and, with her newfound abilities, flew away with the rest of them.
Later, Clark asked her what she knew about the Book of Rao. She was hesitant to tell him because she thought he had murdered Faora. Once he convinced her he had not, she told him what she knew, that Zod was looking for the book, and that the Red Queen was hindering Zod's progress.
Vala was also one of the Kandorians who burned the symbol of Zod all over the world. She personally left the mark on one of the Pyramids of Egypt at Giza. When Clark attempted to send the Kandorians to another world, she stood behind Zod with the other Kandorians. However, they all used their super hearing to hear Zod confess murdering Faora and his unborn child. Angered, Vala ripped off a tag on her sleeve and attempted to attack Zod. She was held back by Basqat. She left Earth with the others when Clark used the Book of Rao to open a portal to a new world.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Vala possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Vala's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Vala can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Vala's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Vala's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Vala can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Valas can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Vala can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Vala is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Vala is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Vala is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Vala's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Vala is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Vala is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Vala possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Vala was portrayed by Crystal Lowe.
- 4 Appearances of Vala (Smallville)
- 2 Images featuring Vala (Smallville)
- Quotations by or about Vala (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: Vala (Smallville)
|Smallville television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: Smallville Characters.|