In an alien dimension there were 15 worlds; seven of those were worlds of light, seven of them were worlds of shadow, and the remaining world - Pytharia - hung in the balance. Centuries ago, a Pytharian man, seeking arcane knowledge that might help better his world, accidentally released a demon that attempted to possess him. Though the man managed to exorcise the beast, it left its mark upon him, transforming his right hand into a fur-tufted claw. It was a mark passed on to all his male descendants. The greatest of these descendants was Valcan, also called Claw, who wore a crimson gauntlet to hide his deformity.
Chosen by the Gods of Elder Light to serve as champion in their eternal struggle against the shadow gods - the lords of disorder who sought to topple the cosmic equilibrium and thus hurl the universe into chaos - Claw was raised from infancy in the gods' realm after his parents were slaughtered by king Occulas of the Yellow eye. There, Claw was trained to be a warrior of unparallelled skill and daring, mastering all known forms of combat before he was given two gifts from the Elder gods; one was his crimson glove made from the metal Oraculum, designed to shield Claw from the growing influence of his demon hand. The other was an invincible sword called Moonthorn.
But the shadow gods, learning of Claw's existence, cast a spell over him as he was passing back from the realm of the gods of the Elder Light to his homeworld of Pytharia. The spell robbed Claw of his sword and his memory, and he spent the next months wandering his world aimlessly.
Battles with Wonder Woman
His sword and his memory restored to him, Claw was told of his great mission by the gods of the Elder Light and set out to maintain the cosmic equilibrium. Claw the Unconquered is recruited along with Beowulf to join Wonder Woman and the demon known as Stalker, to kill the demon D'Grth. They destroy the demon D'Grth and each go their separate ways.
- Mark of the Claw: Claw the Unconquered is marked by a demonic brand on his chest which perverts his hand into a dark claw. He gains no strength from this but his birth mark marks him as one of the Claw, a generation of incredible warriors.
- Claw is in many ways to Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian (and, more particularly, Marvel Comics' depiction of him).
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 28 Appearances of Valcan (New Earth)
- 10 Images featuring Valcan (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Valcan (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Valcan (New Earth)