Valda, the Iron Maiden, was a knight who rose to prominence during the reign of Carolus Magnus.
The daughter of female knight Bradamante, she was left in the care of court sorcerer Malagigi. Both he and Carolus Magnus had to swear a vow to Bradamante that, should she fall in battle, Valda would be raised as a lady of the court, and not be tought any fighting skills. She fell, at the Ambush at Roncesvalles, but Malagigi decided not to keep to his vow if Valda wanted to follow in her mother's footsteps.
When she was young, Valda overheard Malagigi summon the ghost of Amadis of Gaul. She didn't know Malagigi allowed her to overhear it on purpose. Recreating the spell, Valda studied battle skills under the ghost for many nights. When she was ready, she asked Carolus to become a knight, but he refused, holding to his vow. Malagigi, still keen on making her a knight made her a squire to the mysterious Knight All in Scarlet. The Knight was to fight her uncle Rinaldo in a tourney, but on Malagigi's instructions, feigned illness. Valda took his place in the armor and defeated Rinaldo. She was granted knighthood for her victory, and when she revealed her identity, Carolus was impressed.
Some time later, she fell under a spell from the sorcerer Baledor, who forced her to fight Arak. After she was freed, the two teamed up for many adventures, one of which was saving Malagigi from the clutches of sorceress Angelica.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 30 Appearances of Valda (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Valda (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Valda (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Valda (New Earth)