Believed to be an ancient Viking who fought the Huns, Valoric was one of a tribe ancestral to the Scandanavians of today. Late in the 5th century, a group of Huns, one of the scattered remnants left after the crushing defeat of Atilla's sons, raided Valoric's tribe and carried off King Siggro and his daughter Thella. Valoric led an expedition to rescue them. They got the king and the princess out of the Huns' stronghold, but were met outside by a group of superior Huns. The Nordic warriors fought to the last, and as each died fighting, he was carried off by a Valkyrie to Valhalla.
At last, Valoric was alone. As he fell, a Valkyrie named Frey took him up. She had, however, made a mistake - Valoric was not yet dead. As a result, she could not carry him to Valhalla, but was hurled through a time warp to 1944, shortly after the Allied D-Day invasion of World War II.
His wounds healed by the journey through time, Valoric spied a German force and, mistaking them for Huns, he attacked them. Frey tried to take him to Valhalla, but Odin ruled that she could not do so until he was dead. Frey remained, waiting patiently for the death she was sure would come. Though Valoric could see her, no one else could.
U.S. Major Graham had seen Valoric in action and decided to recruit him to the American side. When Valoric heard the Germans referred to as "Huns" he was eager to engage them in battle. Valoric was nicknamed the "Viking Commando" and given Army training. He received much publicity through Life Magazine, courtesy of reporter Maggie Heywood. Whether or not he disappointed Frey and survived the war has not been made clear.
The Viking Commando possessed no superhuman abilities.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): The Viking Commando was an expert hand-to-hand combatant, and was experienced in the use of medieval melee weapons.
Valoric possessed the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engaged in intensive regular exercise.
Military issue combat fatigues and equipment
Valoric utilized a Viking war-axe which he named Iron Fang, a durable weapon of high-tensile steel that could cleave through body armor. He also wielded standard-issue military carbines of World War II era design.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Although born in Europe in another time period, Valoric was a recognized officer of the United States Army.
- The Viking Commando's final fate, or if he is even still alive, remains unknown.
- The Viking Commando has teamed up with Sgt. Rock on occasion.
- 11 Appearances of Valoric (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Valoric (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Valoric (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Valoric (New Earth)
- Viking Commando at dccomics.com
- Viking Commando at Wikipedia.org
- Viking Commando biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #25
- MightyGodKing entry on the Viking Commando
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: