Van-Zee was a native of the bottled city of Kandor. He once used the enlarging ray of scientist Zak-Kul to grow in size and leave the city. Van-Zee met Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane and became enamored with her. However, he knew that Lois was the object of affection of his Kryptonian cousin, Superman, so he set about finding an Earth woman who closely resembled her. He encountered the rich heiress Sylvia DeWitt and the two fell in love. They were soon married and spent a brief period of time on the planet, Venus, where they sired two children, Lili and Lyle. Van-Zee even acquirred a special serum which imbued Sylvia with powers similar to that of a Kryptonian. Eventually, the family returned to Kandor.
Some time later, Van-Zee created a costume and became Kandor's protector, calling himself Nightwing. Prior to adopting the costumed identity of Nightwing, Van-Zee occasionally operated as Superman's double when the Man of Steel was unavailable.
- This version of Van-Zee (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 34 Appearances of Van-Zee (Earth-One)
- 4 Images featuring Van-Zee (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Van-Zee (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Van-Zee (Earth-One)
- Nightwing at dccomics.com
- Nightwing at Wikipedia.org
- Nightwing article at Supermanica
- Van-Zee article at Supermanica
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #17
Superman Family member