|Real Name||Victor Fries|
|Current Alias||Mister Freeze|
|Aliases||Mister Zero, Doctor Zero|
|Relatives||Nora Fries (wife), Charles Fries (father, deceased), Lorraine Fries (mother, deceased)|
|Affiliation||Injustice League; Secret Society of Super-Villains, Wayne Enterprises, formerly GothCorp|
|Base Of Operations||Gotham City|
|Unusual Features||Unique Physiology|
|Universe||Earth-One, New Earth|
|Creators||Dave Wood, Sheldon Moldoff|
- Of course, I know about bad luck... that's one of the lessons that this city teaches us all, eventually.
- -- Mister Freeze src
As a child, Victor Fries was fascinated by freezing animals as a hobby he developed to escape the pressures of his brutal, control-freak father. His parents, horrified by his 'hobby', sent him to a strict boarding school, where he was miserable, feeling detached from humanity. That winter, when the other children went home for the holidays, Victor discovered that his parents had disowned him. He was thought of as in embarrassment, a mistake to be filed away and forgotten, and he never saw them again. In college, he felt that he may never feel a warm touch, but then came Nora, a beautiful athlete, with whom he fell deeply in love with and ultimately married. He later got a job teaching cryogenics at the local college.
Nora later fell terminally ill with a rare malady. Fries left teaching and took on a job working for a large drug company called GothCorp, run by the ruthless Ferris Boyle, so he could find a cure. Using his great intellect and passion for cryogenics, Fries discovered a way to put Nora into cryo-stasis (using company equipment), hoping to sustain her until a cure could be found. Boyle found out about the experiment and canceled the funding, attempting to have Nora brought out of stasis and overruling Fries' frantic objections. A struggle ensued, which resulted in Fries becoming engulfed in his own cryogenic coolants and being left for dead. Fries survived, but the chemicals had altered his body chemistry and his body temperature was lowered dramatically; he could now only survive at sub-zero temperatures. Fries escaped, unnoticed with the frozen Nora. In hiding, he invented a special refrigeration suit to stay alive, and used cryonic technology to create a powerful gun which fired a beam that froze any target within its range.
With this technology, he became a criminal called Mr. Freeze with a taste for diamonds and revenge.
His first act as a costumed criminal is to take revenge upon Ferris Boyle, a plan with which Batman interferes. Mr. Freeze fired his freeze-gun at Batman, but he dodged, causing the beam to shatter Nora's capsule. Freeze blamed Batman, and swore to destroy whatever the Dark Knight holds dear (mainly Gotham City, and eventually Robin). Mr. Freeze once joined a team of Gotham's "costumed freaks" lead by Two-Face. The group attempted to destroy the remnants of Carmine Falcone's Crime Family. During the Columbus' Day Massacre, Freeze was assigned to the removal of Edie Skeevers. Mr. Freeze and the others eventually fought Batman and Robin in the Batcave, after a botched assassination attempt on Two-Face by Hangman.
Mr. Freeze's crimes tend to involve freezing everyone and everything he runs into and stealing money (to fund activities and research) and diamonds for his passion. In addition, he hardly ever forges alliances with the other criminals in Gotham, preferring to work alone, although he has worked as a hired enforcer/hitman for the Black Mask. Once, in the hopes of reviving Nora, he allied himself with the Secret Society of Super Villains, fashioning for Nyssa Head a sub-zero machine in exchange for the use of her own Lazarus Pit. He attempts to restore Nora to life without waiting for the adjusting needed in the pool chemicals, however; she returns to life as the twisted Lazara, and escapes. She blamed her husband for her plight, and estranged herself from him (crippling his sanity even more).
He is usually imprisoned in Arkham Asylum when apprehended by Batman, for psychiatry on his insanity and a refrigerated cell for his medical requirements.
He has been seen among the new Injustice League.
A new Black Mask attempted to control Mr. Freeze by implanting a device in his head. He escaped Black Mask and tried to preform brain surgery on himself to remove the chip, but was captured and imprisoned by the Outsiders. The chip was eventually removed by Owlman.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Genius Level Intellect: Victor is also a polymath who has studied many areas of physics and chemistry, as well as neurobiology and medicine. .
- Science: He's a gifted scientist, having built his Cryo-Suit, Cold Gun and life support machine for Selina Kyle, who had her heart removed by Hush.
- Technological Reliability: He relies on his cryo-suit to regulate his temperature at a frozen level.
- Cryo-Suit: Wears a suit that keeps his body temperature below freezing.
- Mister Freeze's Cold Gun: He freezes areas around him using special weapons and equipment.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Mister Terrific says that the technology created by Victor, is as technologically advanced as that of Apokolips or Lex Luthor.
- In some Spanish translations of the different Batman series, Mr. Freeze is mistakenly translated as "Capitán Frío". That name is a more accurate translation to another DC ice-themed villain's name: Captain Cold.
- Mr. Freeze is also the name of two LIM roller coasters at two Six Flags parks (Six Flags Saint Louis and Six Flags Over Texas).
- Victor Fries is also known as Doctor Schimmell.
- 148 Appearances of Victor Fries (New Earth)
- 56 Images featuring Victor Fries (New Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Victor Fries (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Victor Fries (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."