Volthoom is a being whose ultimate origin transcends the universe. The earliest history has him falling, full-grown, into the lab of Krona in the wake of the Malthusian's experiment to see the beginning of all existence. Taken before the Guardians of the Universe, Volthoom was shown to be able to harness the power of the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum to warp reality. As they scrambled to copy his gifts using technology, the Guardians offered him a position as their agent: The First Lantern.
However, over time Volthoom grew proud, and sometime during or after their move to Oa, the Guardians imprisoned Volthoom in an unbreakable chamber and wrote him out of their history.
However, since the War of Light, the Guardians put Volthoom in lesser constraints as part of a plan. They used his DNA to create a horde of infectious warriors. This horde, called the Third Army, almost assimilated all intelligent life in the galaxy, but was stopped by rogue members of the Green Lantern Corps.
Subsequently free, Volthoom began siphoning energy from multiple bearers of power rings, in the hopes of gaining enough energy to rewrite the entire universe.
- The character´s name could be a reference to Vulthoom, an inhuman god of Old Mars, appearing and referenced in several stories by Clark Ashton Smith. Later, Lin Carter incorporated Vulthoom into H.P. Lovecraft´s Cthulhu Mythos.
- The name was also used in 1964 as the entity who granted Power Ring, an evil counterpart of Hal Jordan from another universe, his powers.
- 17 Appearances of Volthoom (Prime Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Volthoom (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Volthoom (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Volthoom (Prime Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."