In feudal Japan there were two mighty wizards. A good wizard named Kwan-yin and an evil wizard Wa'arzen, who served the barbaric dragon god in the marshes around what is now Shizuoka prefecture of Japan. Kwan-yin finally cornered his adversary in the dragon god's temple. There was a fierce battle that claimed the lives of both men with the body of Wa'arzen being cremated and his ashes sealed in a bronze burial urn which ultimately found its way to the Metropolitan Museum. The source of his arcane power, the scepter of the dragon god was separated into three component parts and moved away.
Unfortunately, one of the scepter pieces found its way into the new shipment for the museum and the fragment had enough power to bring Wa'arzen back to life. A museum night guard was checking around and was swayed by the staff fragment making him carry the it and use it to break the vase seal. Wa'arzen's spirit took the scepter fragment and animated a set of the samurai armor on display to take care of the night guard, however, Batman was there and defeated the armor (who he originally thought was a crook in a costume.)
The second piece of the scepter was in the Kristy-Barnett Auction House where Lt. Jim Corrigan was providing security when Wa'arzen appeared. The evil wizard gained the second piece, but Jim Corrigan changed to the Spectre and battled Wa'arzen with Batman appearing shortly thereafter. The evil wizard proved to be a match for both of them before disappearing to get the last piece which was buried somewhere in the vicinity of the dragon god temple with the hero appearing shortly thereafter thanks to traveling through the astral planes. He took down Batman before battling the Spectre and was able to overpower him using the power of the fully-restored scepter, however he quickly forgot Batman who destroy the scepter using a batarang covered in liquid explosive. Without the power of the scepter keeping him alive, he was reduced back to a pile of ash.
Since it was the power of the dragon god's scepter that enabled him to rise from the ashes, destroying it will make him dead once more with his body reduced to ash.
Scepter of the Dragon God
- This version of Wa'arzen (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Appearances of Wa'arzen (Earth-One)
- Images featuring Wa'arzen (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Wa'arzen (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Wa'arzen (Earth-One)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."