Wallace Hapgood was a prosecutor employed by the Department of Justice assigned to the Organized Crime division. Working out of his New York City office, Hapgood prosecuted the case against the criminal racketeer, "Shoe" Shine of the Shine Family. The star witness in the trial was an investigative journalist named Edward Rockwell. Rockwell's testimony put Shine behind bars, but on the day of sentencing, Shine ordered a mob hit on the Rockwell family. One of his thugs planted a bomb in their family vehicle. The device exploded killing Ed's wife, Elaine.
Wallace Hapgood placed Ed Rockwell and his son, Ronnie, in the Witness Protection Program and arranged to have their surname legally changed to Raymond. He relocated them outside of New York and kept in close contact with Raymond for many years.
As time passed, Wallace became discouraged with law enforcement work and retired from the D.O.J. He applied his skills towards education and before long, became the principal of Bradley High School in uptown Manhattan.
Many years later, Ed Raymond felt that it was safe to return to New York. He entered his son Ronnie at Bradley High and asked Wallace to keep a watch over him. Raymond himself resumed his career in journalism and began working for New York News Express.
"Shoe" Shine was eventually paroled from prison and resumed his criminal career with his wife, "Ma" Shine, and son, "Spit". "Shoe" wanted revenge against those responsible for his incarceration. He attempted to kidnap Wallace Hapgood from Bradley High, but the abduction efforts were thwarted due to the actions of the super-hero, Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond), and the savage villain, Hyena.
Wallace knew that if "Shoe" had found him, it would only be a matter of time before he found Ed Raymond as well. As predicted, "Shoe" made an attempt on Raymond's life by having a bomb delivered to the front doorstep of his home. Fortunately, the bomb exploded prematurely and Raymond suffered no injuries. Hapgood decided to place Ed Raymond in hiding once again, allowing Shine to believe that he had successfully killed him. A few weeks later, "Shoe" Shine died in a gunfight with a rival mobster and Hapgood was able to bring Ed Raymond back out into the open.
Wallace Hapgood has remained close friends with the Raymond family ever since.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 8 Appearances of Wallace Hapgood (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Wallace Hapgood (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Wallace Hapgood (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Wallace Hapgood (New Earth)
- Principal Hapgood at dccomics.com
- Principal Hapgood at Wikipedia.org
- Firestorm (Volume 1) #4
- Firestorm (Volume 1) #5
- Firestorm (Volume 2) Annual #1
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: