|Real Name||Waylon Jones|
|Current Alias||Killer Croc|
|Base Of Operations||Gotham City|
|Occupation||Criminal, former Alligator Wrestler|
|Unusual Features||Reptilian features. Teeth filed down to sharp points|
|Creators||Gerry Conway, Gene Colan|
|Batman: Arkham Asylum|
(August 25, 2009 (Consoles)
September 18, 2009 (Windows))
- I will enjoy feasting on your bones!
- -- Killer Croc src
Waylon Jones was born with a rare genetic disorder called epidermilitic hyperkeritosis, a condition that causes the skin to thicken and flake off in a pattern resembling reptile scales. After the deaths of his parents, Waylon was sent to live with his aunt, who treated him little better than an animal. Every day, for years, young Waylon put up with his aunt's abuse until he finally snapped. He then killed his aunt and fled. For an unknown amount of time, Waylon lived like an animal in the swamps, until the day he met a young blind girl named Betty, who wasn't afraid of him. Betty took Waylon to her home, a travelling carnival sideshow, and introduced him to the various other freaks and performers. For the first time since he could remember, Waylon found acceptence and friendship.
Calling himself "Killer Croc", Waylon found a place in the carnival as an alligator wrestler, grappling with the huge reptiles in a tank of water for cheering fans. For a time, Croc was happy. One day, the carnival owner sold out to another man who moved the show to Gotham City. The crowds were a lot worse, and some of the gawkers were openly hostile toward the performers. Croc managed to catch two punks who were harassing Betty and had them hauled off by the GCPD. A few nights later, the punks returned and detonated a bomb. Croc was thrown into the river by the explosion, his thick skin protecting him from the blast. By the time he hauled himself back to the docks, he discovered most of his friends, Betty included, had not been so lucky.
Now without a home or a job, Croc fell in with the mob as an enforcer, a job that suited him. He found himself in the employ of Black Mask, who was placing a massive hit out on the Batman during Christmas Eve. Croc accompanied his new employer on an attack at Blackgate Prison, where he slaughtered numerous guards, eventually helping Sionis drag police commissioner Gillian Loeb into the gas chamber, where he was executed. Batman arrived on the scene too late to save the commissioner, but attempted to stop Black Mask's escape, only for Croc to intervene, forcing Batman to fight him. While Jones possessed far greater strength and a crushing jaw, Batman's quick wit and gadgets allowed him to overcome Killer Croc, dangling him over the edge of a cliff for an interrogation. Croc revealed that Mask had hired seven other assassins and mercenaries to take Batman down that night, but before Batman could extrapolate further data, Captain Gordon arrived, forcing Batman to retreat and leave Croc to be taken in by the GCPD. Batman would later tell Alfred that the source of his information was a "human-shaped crocodile", to the Butler's mild amusement and surprise.
While this was the first of their encounters, it would not be the last, as over the years Croc would find himself in and out of Arkham Asylum, escaping to wreak havoc on Gotham, only to be caught and returned by Batman. During one of these escapes, he devoured the hand of Guard Aaron Cash.
Killer Croc was one of the criminals that broke out during the Joker's takeover of the Asylum. But Jones didn't exactly work with Joker, and didn't seem to have a specific place in Joker's plans. However, Croc was intent on killing the Caped Crusader should he get the chance. When Batman journeyed into the sewers of the Asylum, Croc was there stalking Batman the whole way, sometimes coming close to achieving his goal. But in the end, a well thought out plan, and a bit of well placed explosive gel was enough for Batman to put an end to Croc's hunt.
Killer Croc makes a short cameo in the sewers of Arkham City. Batman states he does not wish to fight, to which Killer Croc replies he can smell death upon him and that it won't be long before he feasts upon his corpse.
Also, Croc makes another cameo in the Iceberg VIP Challenge Map. Croc can be seen behind the gate drinking and smoking a cigar. Croc does not interact with Batman afterwards.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Unique Physiology
- Amphibian: Although not officially able to breathe under water, Croc is able to hold his breath underwater for an incredibly long time.
- Enhanced Senses: Jones is able to feel movement while underwater and find his prey using this movement.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Speed
- Croc's Shock Collar: Jones, although having superhuman durability, is extremely vulnerable is the shock collar around his neck. If hit in the collar, he will temporarily get electrocuted by the collar and falls down.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the Arkhamverse video game series and is an adaptation of Killer Croc. The original character was created by Gerry Conway and Gene Colan and first appeared in Batman #357.
- For Arkham Asylum, Killer Croc was voiced by Steve Blum. For Arkham City, Killer Croc was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. For Arkham Origins, Croc's grunts were voiced by Khary Payton.
- This makes Croc the character with the most voice actors in the Arkham series.
- 5 Appearances of Waylon Jones (Arkhamverse)
- 3 Images featuring Waylon Jones (Arkhamverse)
- 1 Quotations by or about Waylon Jones (Arkhamverse)
- Character Gallery: Waylon Jones (Arkhamverse)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
- ↑ Arkham Origins Artbook
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."