The Weird is a being of pure energy from an alternate dimension, belonging to a race known as the Zarolatts. For years, his people had been exploited as energy sources by a cruel race known as the Macrolatts. However, for some unknown reason, The Weird did not share the docile acceptance of the rest of his race. When the Macrolatts sought to bridge the dimensional gap and attack other realms, The Weird knew he had to act. Escaping through a portal to another world, The Weird found himself on the planet Earth.
Seeking a corporeal form to contain his energy, he possessed the body of a dead man named Walter Langley. This produced a composite form which contained both The Weird's memories and traces of Langley's. In this shape, he sought out Earth's superheroes for aid and was dubbed "The Weird" by the Blue Beetle. With the heroes' assistance, he was able to repel the Macrolatt invasion.
Tragically, his victory was short-lived. The Weird soon discovered that his new body was molecularly unstable and approaching critical mass. With the help of Green Lantern Guy Gardner, he was taken to the depths of space where he detonated, ending his brief life in the physical realm.
For years, The Weird's spiritual essence had floated in the void until it made contact with the disembodied Captain Comet, himself robbed of life by the villainous Lady Styx. The intermingling of these spiritual bodies produced a reaction which neither at this point understands, returning them both to life in regenerated bodies.
Since his return, The Weird has attempted to determine the cause of his mysterious resurrection and to seek out Comet, the "other" whose memories now mingle with his own. To this end, he has sought answers within the extraterrestrial church, The Eternal Light Corporation, though he has since discovered them to have a sinister agenda.
Having viewed the physical realm from outside of it, The Weird regards the universe with a more philosophical eye than most superhumans, always seeking to understand his own nature and purpose.
- Unique Physiology: In his natural state, The Weird is a non-corporeal entity of pure energy, able to drift unaided through the void of his home dimension. Like other Zarolatts, he is unable to harness his energy for other purposes or affect the physical realm without aid.
- Density Control: He is also able to affect the physical density of anything he comes in contact with.
- Electrokinesis: This ability allows him to perform various feats ranging from the transformation of electricity to the creation of complex feats.
- Energy Projection: His Zarolatt origins also allowed him to freely manipulate any energy he had physical contact with.
- Flight: The Weird is able to fly by riding magnetic currents.
- Illusion Casting: The Weird can create illusions via the manipulation of brainwaves.
- Intangibility: This allows him to become intangible and phase through walls and solid objects.
- Molecular Reconstruction: In his physical Walter Langley form, The Weird has the ability to alter the molecular density of his body.
- 27 Appearances of Weird (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Weird (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Weird (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Weird (New Earth)