"The Hoax": Being an unintentional witness of some despirados killing a man who found a mine, Hex is forced to kill them when they try to kill him. The dying old man asks Hex to bring the deed to his mine to his daughter, which Hex does for 100 dollars.
- Blazes! Seems everytime ah come in this saloon somebody comes in after me with a gun!
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "The Hoax"
- Sue Coursen (Single appearance)
- J.M. Marberry (Only appearance; dies)
- Wolf Boy (Single appearance)
- Clem (Single appearance)
- Colby (Single appearance)
- General the Horse
- Jed (Single appearance)
- Josh (Only appearance; dies)
- Old Man Coursen (Only appearance; dies)
- Schuyler (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "The Hoax"
Being an unintentional witness of some despirados killing a man who found a mine, Hex is forced to kill them when they try to kill him. The dying old man asks Hex to bring the deed to his mine to his daughter, which Hex does for 100 dollars.
However, while he is eating at the local saloon Hex is surrounded by a mob of angry townspeople who accused Hex to giving the girl (who is blind) the deed to a phony mine. However, the mob is calmed by J.M. Marberry a local businessman manage to sweet talk the mob and the sheriff.
Marberry then hires Hex to be his protection and part-partner of his freak-show which features a wolf boy with a diamond shaped scar on his neck. However, the next day Mr. Colby, a man who's son had a similar scar and was stolen by Indians years ago offers to buy back whom he thinks is his son. However, when the wolf boy goes missing, Hex is blamed as being responsible.
In reality, it was J.M. Marberry, who's "wolf boy" was just an accomplice in disguise and having ripped everyone off had framed Hex for everything and plan on going East. However, they are tracked down by Hex, who captures Marberry's accomplice and send him into town to confess the whole thing and then continues after Marberry. However, Hex doesn't get his man because Marberry runs into a group of Indians. Shooting at them, he is shot by an arrow. Finding the mortally wounded Marberry, Hex is told that the Indian who shot him was a white man with a diamond shaped scar on his neck.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Weird Western Tales Vol 1 18 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Weird Western Tales series
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at DCU Guide
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"