Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Showdown at Hard Times": During a down pore, two crooks on the run from Jonah Hex try to rob what they think is a gold prospector, but turns out to be Hex himself. Although Hex manages to gun down the crooks, during the fight his horse General is killed in the stray gunfire, forcing Hex to
- Someday ah aim tuh shove a tamale down yore throat, Sanchez. Ah jus' hope yuh ain't too greasy tuh feel it.
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "Showdown at Hard Times"
- Fred Caro (Only appearance; dies)
- Hank Brewster (Only appearance; dies)
- Billy (Only appearance; dies)
- Caesar the Dog (Single appearance)
- Esteban (Only appearance; dies)
- Frank (Only appearance; dies)
- Lucas (Only appearance; dies)
- Pete (Single appearance)
- Puto (Only appearance; dies)
- Sanchez (Only appearance; dies)
- Schuyler (Only appearance; dies)
- Solomon (First appearance)
- Hard Times
- General the Horse (Dies)
Synopsis for "Showdown at Hard Times"
During a down pore, two crooks on the run from Jonah Hex try to rob what they think is a gold prospector, but turns out to be Hex himself. Although Hex manages to gun down the crooks, during the fight his horse General is killed in the stray gunfire, forcing Hex to walk to the nearest town.
Along the way, he is picked up by a stage coach containing passengers, among them are a snooty schoolmarm, a gentleman who recognizes Hex from his days in the Confederate Army (but does not communicate this) and the deputy who is taking criminal Blackjack Joris into custody. The horses pulling the wagon are scared in and crash due to Blackjack's goons breaking them free, killing the carriage riders, the deputy and Hex is beaten by Blackjack because of his Confederate uniform.
Taking the carriage back to it's destination: the town of Hard Times, where Hex learns that his old friend Hank Brewster is the Sheriff of the town. Hex is given money to buy new supplies and sets off to round up Blackjack and his groups. However, although Hex manages to track them down, one of Blackjack's men gets the drop on him. Before Hex is killed though, an army of former Confederate soldiers rounded up by the man who recognized him earlier. However before they can string up Hex themselves, they are broken up by the arrival of Brewster and some townspeople come to give Hex a hand.
The next day, Hex is given a note from the Confederates asking him to meet with them. Knowing it's an ambush, Hex gets the drop on them and is able to shoot them all dead, however in the meelee, Hank Brewster is shot and killed, Hex leaves town after the battle.
Two days later, the Hex's survival is reported to a mysterious man with an eagle headed cane.
- This is the first Jonah Hex story written by Michael Fleisher, taking over for his creator John Albano. He would go on to write the character consistently for over a decade.
- This issue is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex #1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Weird Western Tales Vol 1 22 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Weird Western Tales series
- Images from Weird Western Tales Vol 1 22
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at DCU Guide
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"