"The Meadow Springs Crusade": The women of Meadow Springs have been rallying to support a decision that would allow women in the state of Kentucky to vote. However, local business man Curtis Thraxton is against such a motion as the politician who supports this amendment to State constitution
- In muh whole life ah've only switched sides once in th' middle of a fight... an' after thet once, ah swore ah'd never do it again, no matter whut.
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "The Meadow Springs Crusade"
- Ellen Todd (Single appearance)
- Sheriff Hillman (Single appearance)
- Curtis Thraxton (Only appearance; dies)
- Avery Salisbury (Mentioned only)
- Clem (Single appearance)
- Hank (Only appearance; dies)
- Herman (Single appearance)
- Johnny (Only appearance; dies)
- Miss Hawkins (Single appearance)
- 19th Century
- Meadow Springs
Synopsis for "The Meadow Springs Crusade"
The women of Meadow Springs have been rallying to support a decision that would allow women in the state of Kentucky to vote. However, local business man Curtis Thraxton is against such a motion as the politician who supports this amendment to State constitution would also eliminate his monopoly on drinking water in the area, as such he has sent hooded goons to terrorize these rallies.
When the sheriff proves useless to do anything, the timely arrival of Jonah Hex in town gives Miss Todd the opportunity to send out her message without being attacked. Although Hex doesn't believe that women should be allowed to vote, he does agree to be her protection for $500. When Thraxton sends men to rough up Todd at her home, Hex gets the drop on them and forces them to ride back to Thraxton's ranch in dresses and signs supporting the Woman's Suffrage movement.
This brings the ire of Thraxton who has Hex captured and brought to him, and when Hex refuses to be bought out he is to be put to death, however Hex manages to turn the table and kill his executioners. On the big day, the proposed amendment is turned down, much to the woman's dismay. Hex is confronted by Thraxton and his men and kills them in a shoot off. However, Thraxton survives, and when he is about to shoot Hex in the back, he is saved by Miss Todd who kills him.
Owing Todd a favor, Hex agrees to ride out of town wearing an arm-band in support of Women's Suffrage.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Weird Western Tales Vol 1 27 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Weird Western Tales series
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at DCU Guide
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"